2016 Stelvio NTX Key Code and SERVICE Message

Hi all,

My 2016 Stelvio NTX has suddenly asked for a key code before I can start it. When it has started the “SERVICE” message is displayed across the lower field of the instrument panel along with a warning triangle. The red warning triangle at the top right of the instrument panel is also lit up. (this is not the normal service warning spanner etc which I know how to delete). Once started, the bike runs fine and all functions are working.

I took the bike to the local Piaggio dealer who hooked it up to the PADS diagnostic tool. Three errors were logged in the memory (one “low Voltage” and two “Lambda sensors”) all three were cleared. No other errors were found and the problem has not gone away.

I have never had to use a key code before and am using the default 00000 to start it at the moment.

The Piaggio agent suggested that the keys would need to be re-set.

This was tried this morning but to do this you need to be able to get into the instrument panel “Menu” function which is not possible as the “SERVICE” message is in the same field.

We tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to no avail.

We then tried to access the instrument cluster via the PADS tool. (there is a white wire and connector for doing this under the seat). However the PADS unit did not pick up the instrument cluster when connected.

The agent is contacting the Piaggio Help Line but I wondered of anyone in the Club has had a similar issue and got a solution for me.

Cheers

Phil

Hi all,

I have done a little more homework and found that the SERVICE message is displayed if the ECU picks up an indicator bulb failure. When I fitted the heated grips I did turn on the ignition to test that grips were working and at this stage the front indicators were disconnected.

It seems strange that the fault “latches” and does not clear automatically when the indicators are functioning again.

The owners handbook explains the above but does not tell you how to reset, or clear the fault message.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Phil

Aha, the problem has resolved itself! I went to start the bike this morning and everything was back to normal! On the one hand I am very happy however on the other hand it would be nice to know why the problem resolved itself. I suspect that the “Fault” was a latching fault that then resets, assuming the initial fault has been rectified, either after a certain number of starts or a certain running time. In either case the bike must have been started 20 to 30 times after the fault appeared and run for at least 2 hours and 200kms. These seem excessively long for a fault to automatically clear.

Any other thoughts from the Forum members would be appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

1 Like