850-T3 Cali linked brake problems

Well there you go then.

New piston and seal kit on order at Corsa Italiana and Paul has agreed to assemble it for me.
I am in USA all next week so hopefully the bits will have arrived ready for re-assembly next weekend.
David.

Paid a visit to Pietro at Motore di Marino who stripped down the master cylinder for me. Full of machining swarf at the spring end! Now need to get it all thoroughly cleaned before rebuilding with new seals.
All the best,
David.

Good lord …

Did you say this was a new master cylinder 20 months ago? Sign of very poor manufacturing practice. Did someone say that Brembo parts are now being made in India or China.Along with Mudpies troubles with his master clylinder, looks like you can’t trust new any more to be any good.

Yes it was brand new, bought over the counter from a Moto Guzzi parts supplier in UK, not an internet purchase.
Not their fault I am sure.
Rather worrying though as I have always replaced complete hydraulic units before on cars rather than doing the “cheap job” of just doing the seals.
Glad Pietro stripped it down, gives me a chance to get it thoroughly cleaned. It looks like the sliding surface for the seals is OK. The swarf was obviously clogging up free movement of the spring.

Bluddy hell…

Amazing … you would never have suspected that

My new cylinder didn’t feel right so I sent it back to Gutsibits who tested it on a caliper and said it’s ok. It is now back with me, but knowing Ray’s borrowed one feels much better, I am tempted to open it up to have a look.I’d bet money it is made in China.

Paul at Corsa has fitted a new piston and seal kit for me today. I will put it back on the bike tomorrow as feeling very jet-lagged at the moment. Piston certainly sticks out a lot more than it did previously.

A-ha!! I hate being right all the time

The brakes are back!

Well done that is the way to get it sorted and I bet it cost a whole lot less in time, effort and wasted cash than spending weeks B*****ing about your self when you are not sure. Mind the swarf in the mast Cyl is a new one.

You’re not talking about me by any chance are you GB!!!

Nope it is simply that some times there are jobs one cannot do confidently I have a couple of things I always go get help on, Not always a dealer as cos I have been around a while I do know a few folk with “skills” I dont have, we kinda swap skills i help them they help me.

Locally Tim Hicks is the carb Guru and has helped me with the Virago Carbs and the jetting on the T5 engine.

Early on I helped another member with a pair of heads and other help, He has since helped me out no end with parts help and Vapour Blasting.

I have even helped my local dealers get parts to the USA and Canada, they reciprocate with help and advice.

The internet CAN help BUT no better help than having someone there to assist who has done it before.guzzibear2013-10-07 18:18:15

For what it is worth, I had this prob with my LeMans mark 2 linked braking system. It would not bleed. I found that it needed some ‘back-pressure’ to bleed, by only JUST unscrewing the bleed-nipple, such that there was some resistance when pushing the lever down. That worked!