Alternator rotor

Hey Mo, did you find out what was wrong…? My T5 started doing the very same thing, and today on the way home, that light stayed on all the way…

Checked the wires and cleaned up the rotor, but it STILL won’t go out…

What’s the next step, need to get this sorted before me tour of Scotland…

I checked all the connections were good and clean, made no difference. So I removed regulator and got confusing and inconsistant readings from that. So I also removed the alternator and have given them both to an electromajicman who will test them for me.

Did you put a tester on the battery while running (not you, the engine) and was there any fluctuation in voltage, as there was none on mine so defo no charge getting through.

Dunno what to suggest, remove the bulb??mo_biker2014-06-19 10:54:45

These things are often down to a bad connection somewhere, just a case of finding which one. The components like the regulator, rectifier etc are generally pretty reliable.Have you done anything to the bike recently, that is usually a good place to start.

Nothing that could have caused it, I’m going to go earth hunting.
Alto checked ok, reg needs to be checked on the bike while running.

Now, where did this bit go…

On my T3 California I decided to run a nice fat earth wire from a wiring assembly point on the lower fork yoke next to the brake pressure switch block to a decent earthing point on the engine. All my minor electrical issues have disappeared.
All the best,

Ok, autoelecman say’d 't alternating bit was alternating just fine but could only test regulating bit with it mounted on the bike, running (it has legs?) now he tells me he won’t cancel his family holiday to fix my bike, inconsiderate 'steward, just wait til he needs an ambulance, humph! then we will see what is and isnt a priority.
Anyway, can anyone tell me how to test a regulator or guide me as to any other reason that my charge light is on and it aint charching.
Ta in advance.
Bye the way, keep it simple cos im stoopid but have a voltmeter.

Not its fault.

Reg should be able to be tested with a variable power supply, but not tried it .

The easiest way is to get a similer bike and swap parts over.

Have a like for that.