Battery not charging, charge light dim 850T

This concerns an 850T which has stopped charging. Charge light comes on when ignition is switched on but is not so bright as normal and doesn’t go off when engine is revved.
Any suggestions please?

first check is brushgear on the alternator and earth connections

Have a read of this.ElektrickeryAs Ray says, brushes, connections etc. Put a voltmeter across the battery and see what you are actually getting.I was worried about this on my Spada for a while, the light would appear to glow when out at night, then decided it was some stray light from the speedo or something getting into the charging light lens.

That is a very valid point don I had that effect on mine before it was all modernised it could be something as simple as the charge light bulb has blown thus stopping the exiter circuit and therefore the alternator charging

[QUOTE=Don-Spada] Have a read of this.ElektrickeryAs Ray says, brushes, connections etc. Put a voltmeter across the battery and see what you are actually getting.I was worried about this on my Spada for a while, the light would appear to glow when out at night, then decided it was some stray light from the speedo or something getting into the charging light lens.

[/QUOTE]

We’ll assume he’s not looking at it in the dark and so also that bulb works. So check brushes and slip rings. If got a multimeter, should be zero resistance between each brush connection and its slip ring.

Note negative side slip ring and brush is earthed to crankcase via the stator and its fixing screws, these can get crudded up with alloy corrosion.

I’ve had this twice on my Convert over the years, both times it’s been a break in the rotor winding. Easily checked with a multimeter across the slip rings.

I posted this on behalf of another member who couldn’t get logged in for dome reason. Thanks for the replies which have been passed on.