Brakes

I was just wondering is there any advantage of having the brake calipers behind the forks or in front. I am sure it is something to do with forces acting on the wheel, but what is the true reason.Thanks Eddie.

age related styling but what ever way they are do not change them as it leave the bleed nipple in the wrong orientation and therefore a pig to bleed

Allan Cathcart says that the callipers behind the forks cool better because the air is slower going over them.I’ll settle for that.

I wanted to know because I have a front end off a G5 which has a very nice mudguard plus twin bleed calipers and I just wanted to know if these are better than the standard ones fitted to a LM3.

Having them behind the forks lowers the centre of gravity of the bike.

Ian, Ride you bike at 20 mph and then at 80 mph. Which creates the greater chill factor?

Placing the calipers behind the forks was supposed to quicken the steering by placing the weight of the calipers closer to the steering head axis. Their inertia has less effect on the movement of the steering.

I think it was a fashion thing from the late 70’s.

I bet it makes no difference at all !!

Oh, it will make a difference, probably in the region of 0.01%. The real difference is where the water drips off the mudguard bridge at low speed. Straight onto the disc and into the caliper if it’s in front.That really does make a difference.

Behind the forks is stronger than in front, purely because in front the brake is trying to rip the mounts from the forks, and when behind it’s trying to push the mounts through the forks, having said that they were fitted according to styling, rather than strength, I wondered whether the LM2 forks were fitted back to front in order to have the then trendy behind the forks brake caliper

Simple answer, Guzzi fitted the calipers in front on early bikes and behind on later ones, I would go with the later fitment as they had probably learned by then.G.

Not so sure you can just reverse them though. Doing this puts the wheel spindle nut on the other side, and long ago I was told this could affect the ability to stay tight.

I am not just going to turn the forks around. I have a pair of forks that have come from a G5 and they are the same as my LM3 but they have been turned around. They come with a pair of twin nipple calipers and a very nice front mud guard, I was going to put them on my LM3 and see what they are like.

If you turn them round, the mudguard stays will be back to front too. Mind you looking at mine, the mudguard would still be in the same place. Couldn’t you swap the fork bottoms to get the spindle right or is there a wear issue?

Allan Cathcart came to this conclusion when fitting a water rad to his racing Rriunph Triple.The faster the air moves the less coolong it does.Try it with a fan, it works.

[QUOTE=Brian UK]

Not so sure you can just reverse them though. Doing this puts the wheel spindle nut on the other side, and long ago I was told this could affect the ability to stay tight.[/QUOTE]

Sounds BS to me,

Not that it matters ,

Well I heard it from someone who had far more knowledge than most on this subject. Sadly he is no longer with us, so I can’t ask him to expand on the theory.Brian UK2013-08-31 09:25:19

Well I have done it and I will post a photo when I can.

Pedantic point he wasn’t going to reverse anything, but put G5 forks which have calipers at the back.