Cali' 3 headlight

Just took the headlight cover off, I must be bored. The lens has gone a bit milky, anyway, I digress. I removed the headlight as I’ve noticed that when I ride MY FJ1200 which has a yellow tinted bulb, cars are more inclined to pull aside when I’m filtering, than when I’m on my Diversion, which has a standard white bulb.The bulb I removed was a 100/80w, which possibly explains the milkiness of the lens. Plus, my understanding is that, this higher rated bulb can prematurely harden the overloaded cable, also (unless the bike runs the headlight via a relay highly unlikely) it will also be putting a strain on the switchgear.On my FJ, I went to the extremes of fitting relays for the dip, & main & horn. The power supply at the light was 11.8Volts, the rest being lost via the switch and resistance in the original cable, Anyway, I now have a yellow headlight, hopefully at night, I might stand out about 0.0005% more than I did before, when car drivers fleetingly use their mirrors.Ah yes, tedious trying to align the securing screw, took me back to my youth.

1150GS2012-11-24 16:26:28

I honestly know how you feel. Daz
DazGuzzi2012-11-24 19:01:02

Fitting relays is a fairly standard mod on most Guzzis too. Certainly the 100/80 bulb will never function well without.Best combination is the superbright standard wattage bulb with relays. I used to have a yellow LED running light, which did stand out, but recently the MOT man said it was against some regulation as it came on with the ignition.

I have the two original indicators in the spada fairing as running lights on all the time
one thing to watch is 100/80 are illegal for road use

Illegal for road use. Hmm, antiquated traffic laws! HID’s are allowed that have a higher lumens rating than a 100/80w bulb."the Law sir, is an ass"Yellow is legal, and as headlights on a lot of bikes are hard wired to come on with the ignition, I would query his judgement.

1150GS2012-11-25 00:29:38

Antiquated i agree but hundreds out there being used every day mind you if using the 100 watt unit it certainly needs a relay to control it

the light output drops drastically for every volt drop at the bulb
think its something like 2 volts drop is 40% less light on the road
bit of a chart from the K1200 site shows how light output fall drastically with volt drop
this could be the reason mine is like a searchlight as it has the uprated alternator on it with everything switched on its still over 13.5 volts

When riding at night, I never seem to have enough light on the road. In search for a reasonable cost solution, I remembered reading that even a small voltage drop to your headlight will cause a significant loss of light output.

Here is a table from Daniel Stern Lighting (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html) that shows the problem:

In many cases, the thin factory wires are inadequate even for the stock headlamp equipment. Headlamp bulb light output is severely compromised with decreased voltage. The drop in light output is not linear, it is exponential with the power 3.4. For example, let’s consider a 9006 low beam bulb rated 1000 lumens at 12.8 Volts and plug in different voltages: 10.5V : 510 lumens11.0V : 597 lumens11.5V : 695 lumens12.0V : 803 lumens12.5V : 923 lumens12.8V : 1000 lumens ←Rated output voltage 13.0V : 1054 lumens13.5V : 1198 lumens14.0V : 1356 lumens ←Rated life voltage at this voltage it will last the longest.14.5V : 1528 lumens

drawing for those that need one
http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/Ignition/Sidebar.htm

[QUOTE=1150GS] Illegal for road use. Hmm, antiquated traffic laws! HID’s are allowed that have a higher lumens rating than a 100/80w bulb."the Law sir, is an ass"Yellow is legal, and as headlights on a lot of bikes are hard wired to come on with the ignition, I would query his judgement.[/QUOTE] Ex smokingbiker2012-11-25 09:06:12

HIDs are allowed only in very specific circumstances, with self levelling technology and headlight washers. They are for this reason totally illegal on a bike.They are now a part of the MOT too in that if fitted, they must be self levelling and have washers, otherwise an automatic fail - assuming the tester notices the HID.

Quote from the testers manual.The light from a front position lamp may be yellow only if incorporated in a
headlamp capable of emitting only a yellow light.Mine was not within the headlight.

Ah, within the headlamp.I’ve also read that having a “low” voltage supply to an H4 bulb shortens it’s life.

The relays from Pyro dan are small enough to fit inside the headlamp.

I have a “sodium” floodlight mounted on the front mudguard it throws no beam whatsoever but can be seen miles ahead I am told.

I have also seen an old style pushbike chrome headlamp fitted under the main headlamp with a sodium yellow bulb they DO stand out

yes you will see from the chart i fitted 14 volts is best for the lifespan of the bulb andits around 350 lumens brighter
1/3 brighter

Ex smokingbiker2012-11-25 15:36:36