cali EV fuel leak

a bit of background, a few weeks ago i had a backfire which blew off the nearside injector rubber( didn’t think injected bukes did that), since then mpg has been poor, only 100miles before the light comes on instead of 125. this morning the bike wouldn’t start so i put it back in the garage, when i looked back there was a large puddle of fuel on the floor. had a look after work , bike still wouldn’t start , couldn’t see any obvious leak till i bounced the bike of the stand when a largeish splash appeared on the floor.took the plugs out to see if fuel was getting to the cylinders, they were very wet and black obviously running a bit rich so a good clean and the bike started. I can see a small amount of fuel seemingly comming from the breather pipe that hangs behind the gearbox( don’t know what that breather is connected to), theres no smell of petrol that would accompany fuel spraying out of a preasureised hose, so any thoughts gratefully received

john

Your warning light shouldnt come on til 150-160mls so it sounds like you had a problem before which has got worse. tanks rust on the bottom seam?? check fuel lines and connectors.
Yes they do backfire check exhaust seals into the cylinder heads, there is a copper crush washer.mo_biker2012-12-03 20:05:45

I would agree that it seems like the worsening of an existing problem; my Cali EV fuel light comes on at 150 without fail (except the one time it did fail completely and I ended up stuck on the A50 feeling foolish and wishing I’d noted the mileage when I’d filled up.)

it’s been suggested that the problem is a failing/failed temperture sensor causing the excessive consumption.my fuel light comes on with 6 litres left, is that the same as yours.

john

Well, I suppose it might be about 6 litres, which suggests I have a range of over 200 miles - not that I’ve ever risked more than 180 (except of course when the light failed and I ran out completely!)

i generally put in 13 litres when the light comes on usually around 125 miles

anyone know the part number for the ev temp sensor which fits on the left rocker cover.

john

[QUOTE=john hooper] anyone know the part number for the ev temp sensor which fits on the left rocker cover.
Â
john[/QUOTE]

Have you copper greased in the sensor housing

Hi John

1. Has it blown the injector out?
  2. The balance will almost certainly be out now.
  3. Are the spindle seals leaking (get the WD out)
    Number 2 & 3 on my V11, now fixed with Yamaha spindle seals.
    Rob