Cali Side-stand deflection

It’s always been mildly alarming that the side stand on my Jackal “gives” a bit once the weight of the bike is on it, but I’ve got used to it -perhaps too used to it?.. I just put it up on the centre stand and measured the deflection between the stand out and then when I put some weight on it: about 8cm! Is this normal or is it about to fall apart and drop my baby?

Is there wear in the pivot or is it actual flexing of the metal stand? Can you move the side stand up and down when the bike is on the centre stand?

It’s normal, you have a “locking” side stand.

Ah, they all do that - right up to the point where the locking plate breaks and the whole lot gives way!

Thanks Lawrie, and now… is the locking plate the washer with the tang/tab, that someone said you can just reverse when it gets worn? That looks sturdy enough so far. Think I’ll just squeeze some grease in and expect it to last another decade if so.

That’s what I did
Not sure about reversing the tab but would be easy to build up with weld.

The long locking sidestand was originally developed for the Convert, and the big deflection is needed to operate the cable for the mechanical rear brake. This, along with the ‘locking’ part of the stand was designed to stop the bike rolling when parked on a slope because it’s not possible to leave a Convert in gear.

The tab is reversible but the abutment on the mounting bracket also wears eventually so that needs replacing too.

Did exactly that plus a bit of welding and desssing on the bracket

Re reversing the tab.
It’s not equi positioned relative to the rectangular hole in it. So if you turn it over the stand doesn’t position in the same placetris2014-02-17 12:14:00

Just looked at Jackal pix, and yes looks like the bog standard Cali sidestand. As said, it’s supposed to do that, so bike can’t roll off it. I’ve always thought the pivot gubbins quite sturdy, but wear is poosible I suppose. HTH

Yes sounds about right to me  3.5 - 4 inches? Summink like that  

Mike H2014-02-17 18:39:37

Great news. I’ll find something else to worry about now, and get back to you later :slight_smile:

EEEE tha’ do get t worrying duncha, You ever seen that Ogri strip where Malc is hutling along Ogri on the back …he goes from a grin to "what’s that noise …coul it be … … … then to hard braking screaming Arrrgh i am gonna die Ogris remark “Gods Teeth malcolm!” it spilt his Newkie

I like the one where Malc's giving Ogri a lift and his throttle cable snaps while they're in the middle of nowhere ~ "no problem" says Ogri, "I'll work the throttle" (by pulling end of broken cable) "while you change gear. Off we go, into first:" { screaming full throttle engine noise } "... right, now into second ..." Malcolm: "I don't wanna die!"       

Mike H2014-02-17 22:34:14

Ogri sets the mark -& last I heard Paul Sample has no one publishing it any more. Now that would be a good investment for the club -to commission a poster of Ogri and a Guzzi!