California 3 dampers - rebuildable?

Anyone know if the Bitubo dampers on the Cali 3 40 forks can be rebuilt? Are they a sealed unit?

As far as I know they are not rebuildable.

Stein Dinse are a good source of replacement Bitubos.

What I don’t understand is that they come apart easily at both ends, and have an o-ring seal in each of these ends. But I can’t work out how the actual rod that moves in and out of the damper is sealed. Maybe they aren’t sealed? Would be good to kno for sure - also because it is suggested in Guzziology that they are rebuildable, though I can’t find a rebuld kit for them, anywhere.

Could you fit off the shelf O rings?
The Bitubo US website says no parts available for the bike.
Sure I’ve heard somewhere that the damping is provided by the slowing down & pressurisation of the fluid.
Will have a look if I’ve made a note of it in my manual.
All the best
Steveguzzibrat2014-08-09 18:51:26

Yes Steve, that is exactly how it looks like it works, the oil runs through holes in the type of plunger inside the damper unit - so not properly sealed dampers as in T3 etc. But Guzziology is not quite precise enough. I am helping a fellow club member and seeing as the dampers look like they work ok, it’s tempting to rebuild the fork as is, with new fork seals of course.

italianmotor2014-08-09 21:44:34

Do you mean the piston? Fluid has to move in both directions past the piston so it can't be sealed. (?)    I see on Gutsibits a basic cooking damper is only £22 - 23. Yes I was also given the impression some years ago that these are not rebuildable. You just buy new ones. (?)

Oh wait these are for a Cali 3. Blimey, expensive!

No, not the piston inside the damper body, but where it enters into the damper body at the topand moves in and out. There only seems to be a guide in metal.

\

[QUOTE=Mike H]

Do you mean the piston? Fluid has to move in both directions past the piston so it can't be sealed. (?)    I see on Gutsibits a basic cooking damper is only £22 - 23. Yes I was also given the impression some years ago that these are not rebuildable. You just buy new ones. (?)   [/QUOTE]
Hmmmmm!!     Very very like my steering damper. Air or fluid, pretty sure it's fluid...     So been wondering how what's inside that, stays inside, too.    There must an oil seal around the shaft.

I agree with you - but there’s no sign of anything, old, new or decomposed…

Just to clarify; are we talking fork dampers or steering dampers?
It, as I thought, we are on fork dampers then do they need to be sealed? can’t they operate using the fork oil as suggested above.
Sorry if I’m being dim (again)
All the best
Steve

Fork dampers! Steve, I don’t know if they need to be sealed. Having only ever owned older Guzzis with the sealed dampers (then you chuck 60cc of oil into the fork leg), I am new to these. Why do they have o-rings at each end of the damper body if not to contain oil? I am happy to rebuild, add new fork seals, chuck the recommended amount of oil into the fork leg and see if it works - but would rather know the truth - it must be out there.

That’s a good question, these species are for the air assisted nonsense versions