calli vintage

I would do some research on the HID bulb kits the running amps quoted are for the bulb and do not take into account the current being used by the transformer etc think when i looked it was not worth the saving + they done usually come CE marked so could fail a Uk MOT

HID units may not fail the MOT, but they do fail the Construction and Use regulations which require HID headlights to be self levelling and have washers fitted.

Oh pooh!

I’m impressed with the auto substitution of expletives! If only my Guzzi was so high tech!

A quick Googling does wonders sometimes - From Department for Transport web site (gov.uk) Vehicle safety standards information sheets Download information sheets Aftermarket HID Headlamps (PDF, 49 KB)http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120606172804/http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf As noted on this forum here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1079568 “In summary it is not permitted to convert a halogen headlamp unit for use with hid bulbs… The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bubs” Just before that it says: “Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the aftermarket should:1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component;2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place); and3. comply with RVLR as far as “use” is concerned.In practice this means:1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be “e-marked” to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have “self-levelling suspension” and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.” I can see the latter bit (bold) meaning a large power drain. This is all very fine for cars of course, so whether the self levelling and washing part can be forced onto motorcycles I don’t know, but the bottom line seems to be you can’t just change the bulb, should be a complete approved headlamp unit. Apparently the HID light source is all wrong for a ‘normal’ bulb type headlamp reflector resulting in glare and dazzling of other drivers etc., and on other forums peeps have been pulled over by the cops.

I know one Guzzisti who fitted HID bulb kit only for his bike to fail it’s MOT due to it being too bright.

I had not seen the bold bit before. All the conversion kits for the H4 bulb move the light source from the dip position to main and back, so the bit about both on would be impossible.The bit about self levelling and washing applies to all vehicles, and would be even more essential with the very short wheelbase of a bike. It’s all to do with anti glare. Of course these are just the rules, what individuals choose to do is their own affair.

The “always on” would worry me less than the “self levelling and cleaning” bit.

As the HID lights use less than half the power of an equivalent
tungsten-halogen light, a significantly smaller and lighter-weight power
supply can be used.

So with 2 HIDs running, you still only pull the power of one incandescent lamp. Further, if on main beam, you are probably on the open road, running an engine speed capable of sustaining charge.

So they do - where did that come from? Of course they need an electronic gizmo to make them work, I think, and we know what electronics on motorbikes can mean …
Mike H2013-09-19 13:09:39

Yes, It is all a bit of a nightmare. I have been googling myself. The terminology used by the various manufacturers is inconsistent. Xenon Hi Lo bulbs generally seem to refer to a dual bulb system where the HID takes care of dipped beam and a standard halogen provides main beam. Bi Xenon bulbs provide dipped and main via a solenoid system as mentioned above. However if have also seen the latter referred to as high low. I am not overly concerned with staying within the letter of the law as I am constantly being dazzled by the HIDs fitted to modern cars even in broad daylight so the regulations, certification and homogulation does not seem to be particularly effective anyway.

Where did you see that, all the HID units I have seen consume around 35W which is rather more than half of 55/60W. And as EXB said, this is for the lamp only not including the ballast unit.

Google ‘hid lights for motorbikes’ for examples.

PS: All come with an electronic ‘black box’ and most complaints seem to be that the ‘bulbs’ don’t last long. I am now getting the gist that the HID applies to dip beam only, because of the long warm-up time required, ergo the high beam is something else (e.g. Xenon) because you can’t briefly switch to, or flash, a HID version of it, which in turn explains what is meant in that gov.uk document by that the dip beam must be on all the time.
Mike H2013-09-21 12:37:38