CALLIFORNIA 1100I

continued:- found the brakes a bit strange think they might take some adapting to. Got home parked her up (an memories of old British bikes came flooding back)after 10mins saw some oil on floor across bike in front of sump. Guy I got her from said he had just done an oil/oil filter change, can see new gasket, is this normal? or should I tighten the sump bolts as a precaution? next step I think will be to join MGCGB.

Well if he changed the filter he would probably have fitted a new gasket. Worth checking the sumpbolts are tight.Can you tell where the oil is dripping from?

Check sump bolts check oil level often too much will spill out.

The brakes DO take getting used to as does the heel toe gear change.

Try using the wee spigot for the heel in heavy traffic/towns it looks so small but actually works as a heel rest and enables more braking force the linked brakes are utterly brilliant.

Until ABS was sorted these stopped by far and away the best of any cruiser.

I think its from the gasket area at the front of the sump, it appears to have stopped when engine cooled down, ill have to wait until I can get to it in daylight. are the sump bolts allen bolts? should I just nip them all and hope thats it?

Congrats on the new purchase. It will take a while to get used to the little quirks and oddities of a Guzzi but I am sure you will love it after a while.They are allen bolts on the sump. Don’t miss the 4 in the centre & they are only into the alloy sump so not too heavy handed.

Firstly, congratulations on your Cali. Although the brakes etc take some getting used to, they’re brilliant when you do. It’s a very satisfying bike to ride.

The oil from the front of the sump is a puzzle. It’s normal to get some oil emerging from the breather behind the sump, at least until the oil has found its own level, usually about 2/3 way between min and max.

Another suggestion about oil from the front of your sump is that it might be the seal at the front of the engine, which is, I was assured, not a problem and very easy to replace without even draining the oil - but, that’s if you’re better with a spanner than I am! Hopefully, it’s even simpler than that.

Went for a ride after doing bolts up, got back and it would appear oil leak is no more.

As for gearbox, I think that it is tractorlike in operation, but after 11years riding Harley’s I am used to slow positive changes, so it feels good to me.
The brakes appear to work well, (again it’s what you are use to), but still not mastered the linked system, weather permitting I’ll get out on her a bit more, I agree with comments above the cali is an acquired taste an the more time on her the more she grows on you.

Great thing about the linked brakes is you can stomp the footbrake and it stops get used to the heel on the tiny spigot for busy traffic more pressure, but keep on using them they really are THAT good.

The heel toe is similar to Harley cruisers and the sidestand is just about identical to some I have seen.

Get out ride it enjoy, oh one other thing I noticed the smooth cruise is 80+ whearas the Heritage Softails I have ridden felt similar at 60+

You can get a fair speed on without it feeling that quick so keep an eye on that especially in camera areas

You can use the brakes ‘normally’ if it bothers you, you are allowed to use all 3 discs at the same time. In fact will give you max. braking force (well duh…) The linked only method doesn’t have much grab, BUT it comes into it’s own on wet / slippery surfaces where the last thing you want is ‘grab’. Re the clunky slow gearbox, personally I have found setting up the clutch cable free play properly is the key, get it right and gear change can be surprisingly resistance free and quick, get it completely wrong and it’s 'orrible. Try experimenting with the handlebar lever cable adjuster finger nut. Also the angle of the lever at the back of the gearbox must be set right. This boils down to making sure that the adjuster screw is exactly inline with the pushrod when clutch is pulled in. The slack (clutch released) distance between cable nipple and the anchor point for the clutch cable outer sleeve (on gearbox rear cover) is about 54mm, IIRC. Also 85-W140 oil with molyslip should help a lot. Ditto the final drive. HTH
Mike H2013-10-15 21:00:23

Regarding the comments about rusting California mudguards, Reboot are selling fibreglass mudguardsFIBREGLASS
REPLICA CALI EV/SPECIAL/JACKAL FRONT MUDGUARD - £99.00GBP

That’s useful information; I didn’t realise Reboot did this kind of stuff. I can’t seem to find it on their site. Do you have a link?

[QUOTE=Don-Spada]Regarding the comments about rusting California mudguards, Reboot are selling fibreglass mudguardsFIBREGLASS
REPLICA CALI EV/SPECIAL/JACKAL FRONT MUDGUARD - £99.00GBP

[/QUOTE]
A member of this forum made his own, he may still have the moulds.

This came from a general update email from Pete. He will be at Stafford show if you happen to be going.

I know its considered old fashioned, but over the years I have put Redex in about every 5th tank of fuel in every 4 stroke motorcycle I have owned, whatever the manufacturer.
However, I have never had fuel injection before and wonder if anybody has any thoughts/ideas as to its use in the California 1100i?

I put nothing in mine and it ran beautifully all the time I had it.

Steve

+1

Darryl DazGuzzi2013-11-14 15:39:31