Crabbing the frame

So perhaps in answer to my question of – why crab the frame?

It is the sheer physicality of moving these large lumps around when working on your own. With the bike up on the table and the fasteners all removed I strapped the top of the bike to the (flimsy) roof rafters. Then lowered the table. First time we didn’t get separation and it sounded like the roof was going to cave in – it’s only asbestos on a light angle iron frame. The club hammer came out to assist and then that went OK.

With the table now down with the engine/transmission unit still on it I could roll that to one side, then lower the bike down. Even wheel barrowing the bike out by myself was arduous. Makes you realise how toy like the V50 is by comparison.

On connections the only problem was the Newtronics ign unit. The unit itself was attached to the frame and the wires run from there into the distributor with no connectors. Makes for better reliability I’m sure but meant I had to unbolt the unit and thread it through a rats nest of other wiring and pipe work.

Anyway, all done for now. Gearbox goes off in the post to Nigel tomorrow. Pics on the club FB page for those who have access.

or want access … :unamused:

It is possible to use Facebook as a photo hosting site and post the pictures into the forum, Right click on an image and copy the image info code across

Thats more like levitating the frame :laughing:

Thanks Don, nice shot Butch, hope the roof is strong enough!

It was touch and go when it refused to separate on the first attempt. And I’m never doing this job again on my own.

Attempting photo drop … here … ;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157091627074154&set=a.10151321976024154&type=3&eid=ARDEbXWiOyJPviAS4k0puzFpBMM3XSnN4JSvJesrcOL6XskpZmYH2SuDItZBGXiIfTFiT-Wer-P5Xd1i

That doesn’t look right.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53043602_10157091627084154_3292753393491116032_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=6b2dc59afdab12b315e570beeb31eed8&oe=5D277A6D

Nope. That’s all waaaay too hard for me.

Sorry I can’t see those photos, I would need a Facebook account to view them.

When I did similar I supported the roof timber above with temporary props. I had to take the bike off the hydraulic table as the table’s owner wanted it back. I had it on a Black & Decker workmate until I bought my own table. Tied the frame including engine and gearbox to a timber roof collar above (tie beam to you) and propped the roof timber either side of the bike. Using tricksy nautical knots and knowledge, I hoisted the bike off the workmate and swapped then in my new hydraulic table in it’s place.

Well very interesting, I logged out of FB and can still see both Don’s & CB’s pictures. I thought FB blocked pictures to no members? Maybe it still knows I’ve got an account even tho I’m logged out? :astonished:

You can share any photos from facebook and seem to be avaialble to view by all regardless of wether you have a F’book account or not. I occasionally post pictures into my facebook account as private, visible only to me but canbe shared to a forum.
When putting them into the forum you need to click on the “insert image” icon at the top of the thread post (2 to the left of where it says Normal) In fact you can insert virtually any image that is on the internet using this method.

Wow! Matching pipe and beard. :smiley:

Two tone.

Camouflage! :smiley:

The art of the selfie climbs to previously unobtainable heights!