drive shaft 1200 Sport

Hello, I seem to remember reading that the drive shaft has a circlip where it fits onto the gearbox output shaft and you have to give it a good pull to realease it. Is this correct, before I go and attack it and end up damaging something expensive. Keith

When i striped my stelvio swing arm to regrease the swinging arm bearings over christmas. The drive shaft was a tight fit on the splines but tapped off with a copper mallet after a soaking in plenty of plus gas ,There was no circlip on mineregards Keith(I found that the bevel box end of the drive shaft came off first then I took the swinging arm out ,this gave me acess to the gearbox output shaft It just meant I had to remove the bevel box from the swinging arm put the swinging arm back in over the driver shaft and finaly once all that was done then slide the bevel box back on last)

8 Valve Eagle2013-03-02 16:51:01

The clip is sitting in a recess in the gearbox end of the driveshaft. Make sure you fit the driveshaft to the gearbox before you assemble the swingarm. You`ll never line it up blind.

The circlip in the gearbox end drive shaft .How do you get access to release it ? as I said before I gently tapped my driveshaft off the output shaft and I do mean gently.Regards
8 Valve Eagle2013-03-04 19:20:43

Just bumped up a thread with pictures

Thanks for that I did not see a retaining clip when I removed my drive shaft and greased it put it all back together a few weeks ago. when you removed the driveshaft was there any way of releasing the retaining pin , as I just want to make sure that I did not damage it on my bike as I did not realise that there was a retaining clip

[QUOTE=8 Valve Eagle]

Thanks for that I did not see a retaining clip when I removed my drive shaft and greased it put it all back together a few weeks ago. when you removed the driveshaft was there any way of releasing the retaining pin , as I just want to make sure that I did not damage it on my bike as I did not realise that there was a retaining clip [/QUOTE]

You would have to pry it off,so i would say its still there.
Its released with a tap

Thats great, put my mind at ease,I didnt fancy taking all the swinging am out again just to checkRegards keith

Cheers guys, Thanks for all the info. The pictures on tonewuk’s thread are a great help. The reason I’ve taken it to bits is because the rubber boot over the swingarm / gearbox joint had fallen apart. Anybody come across this problem, the bike is now 5 years old but only down 10k miles, would have expected it to last longer than that. Keith

Weellll must the improvements to the modern vehicles, never had to change mine in 38 yrs …oh well…never mind ay

^ What he said; for goodness sake!