Galletto Tyre Sizes

Hi all, I am slowly progressing with the restoration of my Galletto 160cc three speed motorcycle.
Does anyone have any advice on tyre sizes? I am a little confused as all three of the wheels are 17" X 2-1/4", however the manual says that the tyres are 17" X 2.75" on the front and 17" X 3.00" on the rear. This seems odd as the wheels are supposed to be all interchangeable (hence the supply of a spare). Should I fit 3.00 tyres to two of the rims, use one on the bike and have the other as the spare. In the vent of a front wheel puncture the oversized tyre will be used until the original is fixed. My thought is to just go for one size on all three.

Any information of what others are using would be appreciated…

Cheers

Phil

I was chatting to a guy with a Galleto on Sunday. I think he has 2.75 front and 3.00 rear. He did mention difficulties fitting the larger tyre on the spare tyre mount. He has to deflate it to get it in or use the smaller tyre as the spare.

Stornello meets Guzzi Galleto by Don West, on Flickr

Thanks Don, again!
Lovely looking pair of motorcycles. What you say does make sense, I’ll check what the fit is like into the spare tyre holder. I guess it makes little difference if the spare is of the smaller size. I hope I never have to use it in the first place and if I do, then a few kilometers using it on the rear wont be too much of a problem. Ribbed tyres front and back could be quite racey!!! I’ve yet to see how this little thing runs as when I bought it it had no compression or spark. I’ve since been able to both missing items back into the engine and after putting some fuel down the plug hole and a quick turn with a speed wrench, with the motor clamped to the bench it fired two or three times. so I am hopefully it will run when the rest is assembled. I am always more than impressed with the quality of design of the small Moto Guzzis. The swing arm on the Galletto is a little beauty, single sided with spindle end float adjustment, spindle is also the pivot for the kickstart lever, all bushes fed with grease via nipples, eccentric chain adjuster with chromed lever for adjustment and no alignment issues. Carlo and his team obviously thought things through and it looks like engineers outweighed the cost accountants!!

Cheers

Phil

Phil - I now have 3 inch tyres all round on mine, all with the same tread pattern (not ribbed!). The 3 inch tyre fits on the spare holder but perhaps not as flush as the thinner one.

I have found Anlas tyres do quite a good old fashioned looking 3x17 that’s more than good for back or front (in my opinion).

JOHN

Thanks for the info John.
Cheers

Phil