gearbox oil change - V11

Hi All, Drained the g/box oil out of the V11 after a ride yesterday, however the oil in the sight glass has not shifted, Can I just unscrew it? Why hasn’t it come out? cheers

I’m not familiar with the bike so forgive me if this is stupid comment but isn’t the sight glass normally for the engine oil?

I have a V11 Good God IS there a sight glass?. Guzzi have just put it there to confuse us I bet.

Drain oils refil with reccomended oil to reccomended level, undo the "sight glass for level (ish) mind bike needs to be level

I do know it is there by the way in what is on ALL the other bikes the level 'ole.guzzibear2013-10-21 12:28:26

No gtm dipstick for engine oil, ok will remove glass, is the sight glass useless then should I measure amount of oil rather than rely on glass?

that will teach me to work in the garage with the door shut, turns out the glass was a bit discoloured! removed and cleaned bike now running on shockproof

Always best in my experience to measure out stated amounts of oil accurately anyway…

Bikes with these windows I often use a torch to see the oil level, they are a guide I finde them pretty innacurate.

I always measure the oils in the car and bikes then once the correct amount is in I mark the dipstick, I have found many dipsticks are not that accurate. By measuring then marking the dipstick where the vehicle is parked at home you have a much more accurate idea

[QUOTE=guzzibear] Bikes with these windows I often use a torch to see the oil level, they are a guide I finde them pretty innacurate.
Â
I always measure the oils in the car and bikes then once the correct amount is in I mark the dipstick, I have found many dipsticks are not that accurate. By measuring then marking the dipstick where the vehicle is parked at home you have a much more accurate idea[/QUOTE]

But when you drain the oil, not all of it comes out. There’ll be some in the engine oilways, the rocker covers, the pump etc, so if you put in the correct measured amount without checking the dipstick mark isn’t there the possibility you’ll overfill it?

Erm not the gear box and for the engine leave it to drain overnight and fit a new filter it’ll drain ok

Well I had my Norge serviced at a reputable dealer, who uses the measured method. The sump was showing a level about half an inch above the full mark on the dipstick and the air box was full of oil. I had to drop about 600ml out of the sump to get back to the right level, and replace the air filter which was soaked in oil.On another occasion when the cARC bearings were replaced under warranty, Ichecked on getting the bike home to find there was no sign of the oil level when removing the level plug, and I had to add 200 ml to get it up to the right amount.The person concerned had put in the right amount, but not for that bike.In both cases, if the level had been observed, tere would not have been a problem.

Doncha just love Guzzis… wierd or what

When I had my previous bike (the Cali) serviced at a reputable dealer, the gearbox was overfilled and bust a seal; the quantity had been measured, but they’d got a new measuring jug and not realised it was a 550ml rather than a 500ml jug. Even the best people make mistakes.

NB at least the best people don’t fob you off but ‘fess up’ so the problem can be dealt with - I’m not making a complaint but agreeing that it’s good to both measure and then also check the level. After all, most of us make mistakes ourselves sometimes!Graham UK2013-10-26 19:43:34

To err is human, to foul things up completely requires the aid of a computer. I do get a tad peed off when the same mechanic makes the same mistake twice though.