Gradual power loss cally stone

Easy I think maybe someone has got mm and “thou” mixed up here. as Mike says Tonti 2 valve bikes are .22mm =0.0085 " I too do em at a loose 9 thou, YES they rattle BUT the engine will love you for it.

I would bet if a home mechanic goes for .22mm they will be within the tolerance zone, nice thing about Guzzis is they are very forgiving.

When you effectively have a tolerance zone of .05mm it is pretty easy to get a comfy .22mm guzzibear2013-04-12 07:59:50

It’s actually worse than that because the figures quoted are for the ‘World’ models not the US specific ones.For a period in the late '90s onwards the US specifications called for valve clearances of 0.05/0.10mm (2/4 thou)!And yes, the specified valve clearances for two valve engines from the Sport 1100 onwards, including the Tonti framed Calis are 0.10/0.15mm (4/6 thou).I use 0.15/0.20mm as a compromise.Back to the OP’s original query - I’m with Mike on this. The balance pipe is there for a reason and running straight through pipes will have an effect on performance. I once tried to set up a Sport1100 injection that had straight through pipes and it was a nightmare and almost impossible to achieve a decent balance at anywhere above idle.Be interesting the hear what the outcome is.

guzzijack2013-04-12 09:37:59

I found out on the V11 Le Mans they even added a 2nd balance pipe as per the org Le Mans across the front of the down pipes.

Funny, I worked as a lackey in a Guzzi place many moons ago and I was always taught tight 9s…

[QUOTE=Mike H]

Crikey yes 0.1mm is < 3 thou, nearly closed up. It depends which bits expand / contract more than others, but obviously enough clearance ensures valve will be properly shut when it’s supposed to be at all foreseeable operating temperatures. From my MG manual: page 30"If the clearance is too much, there will be noisy valve operation, if too little, the valves do not close fully causing inconveniences such as: Loss of compression; Overheating of engine; Burning of valves.“ A Tonti is 0.22mm (0.0085”), I was told very early on to make it a loose 9 thou (0.009")     [/QUOTE] italianmotor2013-04-12 20:59:37

Oxford Motorcycle Engineers (a blast from the past) used to recomend “tight 9’s” for thye Tonti framed 850/950 motors too.Steve

Whatever, mostly ‘9’ just has to do