How long's yer dip stick? - T3

Now then, this isn’t a euphemism thread. I’m genuinely curious as to whether they vary. It’s a T3 850 with the normal sump and the measurement of mine from below the washer on the threaded bit to the tip is 112 millimetres.* Thanks in anticipation from Nick Brown. * Is the spell checker not set up for British English then? I get the dreaded wiggly line under millimetres!

NickBrown2013-12-17 11:00:53

“Spell checker” ? “Wiggly line” ?

Any spell checker is on your computer, the forum has none.

There are different lengths, sump extensions require a longer one.

You can set the language on your spellchecker on your browser options. I have Google Chrome and it is set to English (US) as standard, and you can’t change that to English!

Fraid I disagree with Chris. Dipstick should remain the same with a sump extension because the idea of the extension is for the sump to contain more oil for better cooling, otherwise there’d be no point in extending the sump.
My T4 (same engine) has the same 112mm dipstick, which is what you asked in first place. petethebee2013-12-18 11:17:39

Disagree Pete, mine has the same oil capacity only further out in the breeze, it also has horizontal galleries cast into it from front to back to allow the air to pass over the oil as well. Another benefit is lowering the centre of gravity, more oil would do that too but make the bike heavier.

I was led to believe that for a bike with a sump extension the same amount of oil is used. The idea of the sump extension is too move the oil farther from the spinning crankshaft. This results in lower oil consumption, more power, higher efficiency, and better use of the available oil. Well according to Guzziology anyway.

I can tell you the oem brass nut dipstick as on T3/V1000 IS shorter than the plastic one for the later Spada et al WITH the sump extentension.

I much perefer the brass nut one SO I measure the oil and marded the older , shorter dipstick.

NO matter which sump type you have the very best way is to MEASURE the oil in as per the manual for THAT type of bike/sump arrangement THEN mark your dipstick as per and as long as you check your oil with the bike parked up in the same place it will be fine. the small difference away from home say topping up should not make the difference between ok and no good.

Whoops; didn’t mean to start an oil type banter. Anyway, thanks petethebee for the answer to my question. The thing is, I did an oil change (first time on a Guzzi) and put in the three litres and after a ride,quite a lot blew out of the breather pipe. I used the green 20/50 stuff from Halfrauds and replaced the filter. Anyway, when I dipped the oil it hardly made it onto the tip of the stick. I’ve put half a litre back in and it’s on the halfway mark. The bike’s been converted to an SU single carb. and the bloke altered the breathing system so shall go back to him. In the meantime, I’ve extended the breather pipe back to the rear numberplate so my back tyre stays oil free. As to the spellchecker, I shall see if I can get my computer to behave-fat chance! Thanks for the help you lovely people!

I wasn’t aware of this, but have managed to get it sorted; so no more wiggly lines-hooray!

3 litres is correct, sump extension or not. Sounds like maybe your breather system needs looking at. What breather box you got? If it’s a Le Mans type, Guzziology recommends disabling the flapper valve and replacing with a later ball type check valve. I did this last year and my S3 has stopped chucking oil out the breather pipe despite being thrashed relentlessly at high speed. As already pointed out here, measure the 3 litres you put in witha measuring jug - like that, no mistake italianmotor2013-12-18 14:54:26

What Motivlack and italianmotor said. What Ken (GB) said use a measure to refiill, 3 litres without filter change, 3.5 litres + new filter and wash out sump pan. I also use an extension and ‘full’ is just about on the min. line on the standard screw-in type dipstick. (I did have a speshly made longer dipstick modified by previous owner but it broke off and fell in.) What was the reason for the original question?

[quote=“Mike H”]

What Motivlack and italianmotor said. What Ken (GB) said use a measure to refiill, 3 litres without filter change, 3.5 litres + new filter and wash out sump pan. I also use an extension and ‘full’ is just about on the min. line on the standard screw-in type dipstick. (I did have a speshly made longer dipstick modified by previous owner but it broke off and fell in.) What was the reason for the original question? _______________________________________ It was just curiosity, as I have gained the impression from various comments on the forum, that no two Guzzis are alike:mine certainly isn’t how it started out. But I now have had some useful information to ponder;as you say that I should allow half a litre for the filter, which I didn’t realise. Also, there seems to be a problem with the breathing, which will be sorted by the bloke who did the work.I am confident that he will,as he has a good reputation to uphold.

My Mk111 with sump extension comes with the longer dipstick.Guzzi recomend 3.5 litres with a filter change.I put in 3.0 litres as the extra 0.5 blows out of the breather.Similaly 2.5 litres if not changing the oil filter.Yes the idea was to remove the spinning crank from the oil bath.When the extended sumped engines first came out Guzzi forgot to lengthen the dipstick which is why they got a reputation for using oil as people were putting too much in.Guzzi then told people to fill to the bottom of the stick before bringing out the longer dipstick.Glad they don’t make that kind of basic error any more.

I stand corrected lads.

Come on Pete, you had to be wrong once in your life.

@ Ian that’s interesting you lose oil at 3.5L, must be the later breather design, I’ve got the ‘old’ version, have never lost any by filling to 3.5 with the extension.

Don’t know, it drops to 3.00l and stays there. Motor is about 170k miles old so it’s working .

Ditto, forgot about adding extra for the filter change.

If I understand correctly and the bigger sump wants 3.5 litres with a filter change, but you use half a litre less because it will blow that amount out of the breather, then I should get away with 2.5 litres in the standard sump when the filter has filled up.Is there a half litre difference between the two sumps? Maybe that would account for the level being near the end of the stick and the problem isn’t as bad as I thought. I’ll keep my eye on things and see how it goes before I get the bloke to sort it. I notice that Haynes and the T3 handbook, which I printed out from somewhere off the forum, both state 3 litres but nothing about the filter,as far as I can see. Anyhooo, thanks to one and all again.
NickBrown2013-12-20 12:51:20