increasing swing arm clearance

I have found Avons to be about 5mm over spec.BT45’s about 3mm under spec.This suits me as I prefer BT45’s anyway.

you can see the tyre bulge slighty when the weight of 2 people are on the bike… no idea about the science but it rubs 2 up even when over inflated by 6 psiIts fine solo

im finding lots about avon i dont like, to be fair the fitted width quoted is for a specific rim width, on my t5 the rim is the same as the one on the spec sheet and to be fair the vernier measure give the same number as the spec sheetsadly avon lost my custom after fobbing me off… going to get a bt45v for the rear and test fit it for width soon as the current venom x reaches the end if it’s life

You will then find yourself going round corners faster.Gain all round.

I’ve seen owners who have run their bike in 1st on the centrestand and happily angle grind away a few mil off the side of the tyre. Way to go if you ask me. The tyre is non the worse for it.

Bikeralw2013-06-03 14:00:02

Definitely correct. On my Cali, Pirelli Sport Demons of the correct size scrubbed the sidewall shoulder on the driveshaft tube.

I now have the same size Metzeler Marathon front and rear with no clearance issues whatsoever.

Darryl

Actually I was thinking exactly that yesterday ~ but, would need to shunt swingarm sideways slightly by the same amount to keep the wheels central, this is possible because the pivot pins are screws in the frame; BUT, a bit of the same thickness will need taking off the caliper bracket where it doubles as the spindle spacer on LH side. Also need to ensure there’s still enough depth of the bevel box splines into the hub

It’s not uncommon for shaft drive bikes to have wheels slightly out of alignment. Even the MOT guidelines tell testers to allow for this. What is importand with the swing arm is that the shaft/UJ is lined up correctly. Offset that and you knock out the UJ.

AFIK racers used to do this to enable them to fit wider tyres.

On a similar note, I am just about to put on new BT45s for the annual Italy trip - would you advise against putting a 120/90/18 on the rear of my 1981 SP1000-(Lemans lookalike) or should I stick to 110/90 ?

If the origonal was a 110 stick to 110.BT45’s need more psi.I tun 42/44 from memory in my LM111.

For what it’s worth, the 1000S was fitted with a 120 rear tyre by the factory, in my humble opinion it handles better with a 110.

Many thanks, I’ll stick with the 110 then. Yes, its not easy finding the correct pressures for BT45s. I’ve been running at 30 - 36, never a pillion, but usually loaded up. I now realise this has been too low, due to cracking on the front, though its done 3 foreign trips, and the back is square after only 10 months. Correct pressures please?