Lemans 2 piston barrel match

Had barrels recently aquablasted and my original marking denoting left and right has gone. Like an idiot I got the crank case and barrels back assembled loosely and in my haste took the barrels off to further wash out and lost track of which side they came off. Is there any way of identifying left or right. The pistons are all still marked left and right as is everything else but I can’t determine which barrel went where. All rings are being replaced and there were no issues with ovaling or wear in the barrels. Any suggestions

Thanks

As far as I know Barrel are not marked left and right as universal and as you are fitting new rings I cant see it making much difference. All I can suggest is looking closely at bore and pistons for tell tale rub marks

I agree, but we assume each set is same size matching tolerance range, A B or C. Should be marked on the pistons. If both have the same letter then no prob. If not I think it’s a case of trial fitting the pistons (without rings) and put feeler gauges down between piston and cylinder and identifiy which goes with which for same clearances that way.

pistons left and right should be same grade (I hope) never seen on a and one b on a bike

[QUOTE=Mike H]

I agree, but we assume each set is same size matching tolerance range, A B or C. Should be marked on the pistons. If both have the same letter then no prob. If not I think it’s a case of trial fitting the pistons (without rings) and put feeler gauges down between piston and cylinder and identifiy which goes with which for same clearances that way.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips. I will go back to the pistons on Tuesday since they are still at the engineering workshop and see if there is any ballistic matching I can do between the pistons and barrels. I will check the pot dimensions but I think they are standard on both sides. Unusual if not. Just feel stupid have marked everything so diligently at first and then to get all excited and forget. Will post some photos of the bike when back together.

Cheers

Martin

Unless changed by a previous owner for some reason.

True but on other hand having seen the wear and step on the top of some barrels and still running I with the wear on them. The difference as quoted in the new grade spec would mean nothing after a few thousand miles of use

Unless changed by a previous owner for some reason.  [/QUOTE]

True. There are recommended min. and max. clearances stated in the manual, do not have readily to hand at the mo, but if within, should be OK.

Thanks for all the suggestions. As it turns out the engineer’s marked them before aquablasting so it was a false alarm and managed to locate the marks today so all is well.

Martin

great news

breath easy now

Ah!! OK then. As you were every-bods

must admit I learnt that early on when I took up the Aquablasting
piston and barrel get marked L or R
the barrel goes in blaster comes out with no marks on it, it washed dried and marked with black or red marker pen then the piston gets done and marked when washed and dried
basically if its left or right part only one at a time in cleaner

The engineer marked them with a centre punch in a common place one dink for left and two dinks for right. Even then he had to look closely. One at time definatly best move.