Lemans 3 charging problem

Why I like Bosche in general. They carry on working when they should have long ago stopped.

Have to say got the Dooocati stuff with Valeo on the V11 and the Bosch on the V1000 to date had problems with the doocati stuff the old Bosch has had a starter refurbished ONCE in 36 years and , due to a mistake by me, the diodes replaced …yes replaced on the bosch board, try doing THAT on the Doocati rectifier/regulator.

I much prefer the starting from a Bosch starter, I bought a Valeo for the V1000 but really disliked the sound and feel (I know it is weird but hey) So had the Bosch refurbished by local Bosch dealer, was surprised at the low cost then sold the Valeo on E-bay and made no loss.

Over the years I have found the Bosch system very reliable AND if you do a wee bit of research there are higher output systems out there as fitted to the Police bikes Guzzi and BMW

All it takes is the regulator which brings in full charge lower down the rev range.
On the old mechanical regulators it is possible to adjust them.
Donkees years since I have done it though (Bedford RL?).

ah the RL and TK :slight_smile: many memorys of fettling thosemost of the late 50’s through 60’s you could fiddle with the mechanical regulators

Wrong bit Ray. it is the rotor that has gone awol, not the stator.As a thought have you tried to flash the rotor to bring it back to life? Sometimes works. From memory you just put 2 wires from the battery, one onto each slip ring and send a little charge through it to regenerate the internal magnetism. costs no more than 2 lengths of wire and is an easy try. Also as has been said before, have a really good look at all the connections on the charging circuit, alternator, rectifier, regulator charging light, ammeter (if fitted) and battery earth lead before splashing out on a new rotor.Are you sure your meter is reading correct. You should get a reading of around 6 ohms resistance. if your meter is set on the wrong scale, this can easily appear as a closed circuit if the meter is reading up to 10000 ohms.Good article on checking charging at the top of this page Electickery :-http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13634

Don-Spada2012-08-02 23:58:54

Don looks like a rotor on the right

Update,
I tried all the above,connections,12v direct to rotor slip rings etc(had never heard of that!),no change,and i know my meter is reading ok beacause i did the same tests for comparison on my T5,and got a reading of 3.5 ohms on it’s rotor slip rings.Went and ordered a new replica rotor anyway from gutsibits along with other stuff i had to buy,so i’ll update the thread when i have more news.Thanks for the tips folks.

Fledermaus2012-08-03 18:27:57

Yes 3.4 Ohms rings a bell.

4 Amps goes down the rotor, so will be that @ 14V

I couldn’t see that way over on the right, need a wide screen laptop to view it!

let you off Don

Yep I were a bit nonplussed 'til I saw it vaguely lurking towards the right somewhere ~ and I’m using a wide screen

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions folks-new replica rotor fitted,and we’re back in business!Now,if only i’d remebered two things before i started it. (1)Remove disc lock from rear wheel before starting bike,and (2)just because the neutral light is illuminated on the dash,does not mean it is actually in neutral,in fact usually it is not.This has left me with a shattered rear disc and carrier,and another bill to pay.So embarassing,i just had to share…!

Flippin’ 'eck

Good news about the rotor though anyway

bloody hell that a bummer
have done it on a bike before now and tried to ride off very embarissing it was at MATLOCK as well and it was packed

Hope you can find replacement parts

LOL if you’re going to do it, do it properly with the public watching

Didn’t think you could break a disc & carrier like that, wheel must’ve spun round a bit first to build up some energy?

And true about the neutral light, as has been proved

[QUOTE=Mike H] LOL if you’re going to do it, do it properly with the public watching
Â
Didn’t think you could break a disc & carrier like that, wheel must’ve spun round a bit first to build up some energy?
Â
And true about the neutral light, as has been proved
 [/QUOTE]

Dunno,from where i put disk lock on the carrier,to where it met the back side of the caliper,it’s 3 inches at most.And when i say i shattered it,it broke in to 3 large lumps,some of which is still on the wheel.I could do/say nothing,just replaced the bike cover,went inside and opened a bottle of hobgoblin ale.