Looking for some opinions My son doing CBT

I am learning every day, It never stops the learning curve and I still make mistakes but hopefully fewer and less serious.
I don’t wear hi-viz anymore, I used to but I am of the opinion that it makes no real difference, many riders ask the question, how was I not seen after being struck when wearing hi-viz I seem to remember reading a study somewhere that pink is actually much more obvious and effective as a hi-viz option. I wear a Helite 2 electronic vest and use a white helmet, my vest is the black option not hi viz. I will say this, if I am in any doubt I use the SIAM and it works, I have used it for years. But I also use the principle of never accelerate into danger so approaching junctions with cars emerging I change road position and reduce speed and cover the brakes, having checked it’s safe to do so. I don’t need to get anywhere so fast that the risk becomes greater. Pleased to say I have done all that and survived. Still like to get a move on but at a more controlled and considered pace :+1:

2 Likes

I wear “Hi Viz” to increase the chances of being seen (Increased Visibility) but I’m certainly not relying on it. The SIAM manoeuvre is new to me and is not mentioned in the Police Roadcraft handbook.

As for this video, at 5:35 in the video “Background movement relative to the car”
What does that mean? What background movement is he referring to??

I believe he is referring to the bike being disguised as it is stationary relative to the background. The SIAM avoids this by moving the bike relative to the background.
You won’t find the SIAM in the road craft handbook .
The factors why bikes cannot be seen are discussed in the invisibility video. Some people don’t approve of the SIAM but I have used it for years and it works.

As I understand it:
imagine you’re filtering stationary traffic. The advice is, you’re not seen in the mirror unless you’re “moving object” to them, and if you just ride along the queue, YOU-ARE-NOT. That’s why you need to swerve a bit, and then you as a point on the picture, are moving sideways in their wing mirror. And the same relates to you, approaching the junction, with driver seeing just static picture, until you stir it with your sideways swerve. Hope this is clear… it’s not my first language, sorry:)

I use the SIAM manoeuvre frequently when approaching junctions with a stationary car that could cross my path. Learnt about it doing the IAM course a few years ago. Approaching such a junction roll off the throttle, cover the brakes, observe for any wheel movement in the stationary vehicle & make the SIAM weave which moves your bike laterally across the inattentive drivers field of view. Used it 3 or 4 times on a 100 mile ride yesterday. I always assume that the stationary vehicle hasn’t seen me approaching and use this technique. In my experience wearing fluorescent yellow hiviz plus headlamp on isn’t sufficient. The distractions that drivers have now is immense, just look how many are fumbling with their phones when you filter. A sideways glance in the door mirror isn’t enough, when lane changing, I always shoulder check when driving as the door mirror blind spot can be lethal

1 Like

I’ve tutored/observed for RoSPA and IAM at times over the last 29 years and you see all sorts. There is something that may help you consider the risks for your son.

The basic UK test examines the ability to handle a bike in different traffic/road conditions. A huge study of accidents over about 30 years found that the vast majority of accidents (car or bike) were little to do with these ‘technical skills’, but rather to do with mindset. For instance much higher accidents occurred amongst thrill-seekers, those who thought ‘it’ll never happen to me’ or ‘I’m way better than most’ or ‘I’ll get away with it, just this once’. Another tranche of accident victims were people feeling the pressure to ‘show off’ to their mates/girlfriend, or to try and keep up with them when they felt outside their comfort zone. We’ve all been there at some stage in our lives.

Advanced motorcycle training by most of the big bike training groups like RoSPA, IAM and BMF etc train to the syllabus of Roadcraft (the police manual which you can buy online). Trouble is that as a read Roadcraft is dull, opaque and in places impenetrable without a translator - it’s written by a Committee, which says it all.

If your son is a thrill seeker or has nutty mates to ride with I’d be more worried than if he’s got his head screwed on and is generally sensible and cautious. Either way, Bikesafe, followed by an advanced course IMMEDIATELY after passing the basic test, then ‘Biker Down’ run by the Fire Brigade, would be good for him to do. My first experience of biking was commuting into Manchester and I was really glad to have done my IAM training immediately, it probably saved my life.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, he’s fairly sensible and I hope his kart racing will cater to his speedier side.
He will be getting further training.
The first aid side will be covered I’m a former nurse practitioner trained in advanced life support. However, once you have covered scene safety , CABC etc it’s about preventing the wrong thing being done or creating further casualties.
The first thing to suffer is often accurate information and location it’s amazing how high stress situations can scramble a normally sensible train of thought. What Three Words is a useful tool to aid accurate location and get services travelling

1 Like

When looking at kit, consider a pink or blue hi viz vest. I know this may sound unusual, but please hear me out.
Where do we see 90% of green/orange hi viz? They are on pedestrians. Leading to instant thoughts of being worn by such.
We are in the growing season and there are so many shades of green out there that sometimes green hi viz melts into the background.
This one is a bit deep, but what action do we, almost instinctively, associate green with but go.
Pink, I know it sounds a bit girly, or blue, both colours are rarely seen on our roads and should instantly cause a driver to think “what”. Neither colour normally blends into a background and as such should be more noticeable.

Hi Pete, agreed I mentioned hi viz pink in my post earlier.
I did see a study somewhere about it I will try and find it.

1 Like

My kids are on a biking holiday with me & my wife.
We’re having a lovely time.

I am surprised and delighted by how smoothly and sensibly they ride. They have clearly been well taught.

When we get back, I will suggest that they both do an advanced course, I’d expect that they’ll both pass very quickly.

What a change from 1976…

2 Likes

Well he had his CBT and had an accident, failed the CBT. The guy in front stalled entering a roundabout and my son hit the back of him. Cosmetic damage and he’s fine.
Confidence has been hit so we’ll see how he is tomorrow. He’s booked somewhere else on Sunday but he may not want to. Let’s see. A learning curve indeed

Damn. :frowning: Was the guy in front also on the test? Don’t know the CBT well, was wondering is more than one person tested at the same time.

Yes the guy was doing CBT at the same time apparently he was stalling quite a lot. My son is not used to not being able to do stuff or confident and this has really hit his confidence, I reorganised it for him but he doesn’t want to do it.
So thats where we are. I’m disappointed for him but there you go.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about your son. I hope he finds it within himself to have another go. We all know riding a bike is an achievement and a source of great enjoyment. All the best to you.

Sorry to hear that, looks like (TBC) your son was in the wrong position or just too close to the rider in front of him. Hope he can put this behind him and move on!

1 Like

Still looking right when entering the roundabout instead of straight ahead. Lesson learned

4 Likes

Well he did it, passed with flying colours second time. Now wants a bike, mum says no !!

5 Likes

Congratulations to your boy!! Great news. Next task is to get his Mum on a bike then she won’t mind…….

Yes congratulations.
If his mother see’s this news I don’t blame her one bit in saying no!
Buxton: Five motorcyclists die in two crashes near same town - BBC News

That’s bad news.
That said, I was literally going to order his bike on Saturday, he’s not interested, didn’t want one.
I am living in some sort of parallel universe