Near miss!

Yes it provides a wealth of useful information.

Yes its a very good book.

1 Like

If not a warrant card you should be able to identify his number (police officer id, not his vehicle).

Refusal of an Police Officer to identify himself is, in itself, an offence.

Strange behaviour for a plod. :policeman: Usually they are quite sensible.

I was pulled over once on ā€œsuspicionā€, but he backed off when I took off my helmet and he saw how wrinkly I really am.

Also, scrupulous politeness regardles of provocation is essential.

I didnā€™t ask to be honest. I was polite, but firm. And I found out about the 2/10ths of a mile rule. Not that I needed it, but itā€™s nice to know.

This isnā€™t Tesla-specific. It is a consquence of over-reliance on auto-dimming; which often fails to dip (especially when it sees a single headlight oncoming). What can you do other than the one-eye (half?) closed trick to maintain night vision once the idiot has passed by?

PS. Highway Code Rules 113-116ā€¦

Rule 114

You MUST NOT

• use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders

Rule 115

You should also

• use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
  • keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming road users
  • slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights.

I think that the last point would bring most of us to a standstill :worried:

Iā€™ve read a lot of things about opticians saying that older drivers are being blinded and dazzled by the LED lights. They should not be getting type approval for use on our roads. Auto dim = a bit too bloody dim to dip the lights. My wifeā€™s MG EV (work car) has auto-non dim. It actually randomly goes into full beam from dip when set to auto dim. Give me my analogue switch gear every tie :smile:

Ref the last point, I have had to do exactly that on quite a few occasions these last few years, gets scary.

It does not help that companies like AUDI produce the Q8, massive lumps of pig iron for insecure people, that have the headlights so much higher, the government recently said that it would all be resolved in ten years
ie they will do nothing at all
frankly these massive fatmobiles should have the lighting cut of reduced by 30 percent at least
round here its Range Rovers ( never seen off road) Big Audis, massive Mercs and those huge ugly barges made by BMW usually with a sole occupant in ???
then to add to that the local bogans, who buy an LED headlight conversion for their chavstra and blind everybody, one local moron kept dazzling me, so I used to go onto main beam and blind her back, she got out and swore at me, but I care not
of course we once had traffic Police, and as well as dealing with idiots, they reported back on vehicle problems and things got done
we dont have them any more, which is why people drive like idiots
and why I wont ever buy a decent car
last one written off by a yoof texting and T boning me !

:thinking: technically correct, but younger drivers also get blinded :wink:

1 Like

I have sometimes pushed the speed limits, but have always been sensible and although if lucky have landed up in court, I have never been guilty of anything. In all the years of contact with police The only police I have any respect for at all are the biker police who I have found to be consistently fair. All others I avoid like the plague. Ubfortunately, car police often take that as an invitation for a ā€œchatā€. In the past, just to make eye contact with them was enough for a pull, as was driving/ riding an expensive motor. Now I have moved to Cornwall things are better but the standard of driving by some of them is still shockingly apalling. I have a video of high speed ā€œaction manā€ on the wrong side of the road almost killing me and my family- ran me off the road to avoid a head on.

1 Like

It would be good if an ā€œAdvance Riding Techniquesā€ thread could be started (Unless there is one already in place)
I have been watching ā€œRoadcraft Nottinghamā€ on YouTube and putting into practice what I have learnt.

Take the first step. Enroll on a Bikesafe course. First session is classroom based - theory. 2nd session is an observed ride. There are Bikesafe courses all over the UK. You mentioned Nottingham, there are courses run in Leicester & Ripley (Derbyshire)

1 Like

Ultimately I always ride understanding that it doesnā€™t matter who gets it wrong, Iā€™ll be the one who gets the pain.
I also know Iā€™ve never been involved in an incident the wasnā€™t my fault, in that I mean looking back thereā€™s always been a way I could have ridden or behaved differently that would have isolated me from risk.
Over the years Iā€™ve found the same skills that stop me from being nicked, have kept me alive.
And most definitely, having those skills evaluated periodically, via tools such as the excellent BikeSafe course, are always worthwhile.
Keep your eyes open folk and practice your skills as you will inevitably need them some day.

8 Likes

too true! similar experience.

Looking at the Bikesafe course here in Kent as well IAM Roadsmart.
Roadcraft Nottingham is a Motorcycle training company that also hosts videos on YouTube.
Roadcraft Nottingham | Train with the famous Roadcraft Nottingham

This is very good as well!

1 Like

I think we all need to have cameras on the rider and the bike - report the car and number plate to the police plus put it on YouTube and their number plates should be shown ā€¦ WHY NOT !.

why not? because once in a while we all behave like a d*ck and I personally prefer to recognise that fact, apologise, remedy my riding style and not see my error on ā€˜tvā€™. anyway, an educated riding style is an actual defense, a camera is not. focus on continuous learning, not on tech that, at best, reinforces the belief that ā€œthey were at faultā€.

5 Likes

I would like to see more ā€œPolice Patrolsā€ that could can see what I witness most dayā€™s, whether Iā€™m in the car, on my motorcycle, walking or cycling!

1 Like

Ha, more Coppersā€¦ I fear thereā€™s Bob Hope, No Hope, and Antelope.! :rofl:
Iā€™ve gotta say, for me the worse bit is my lack of practiceā€¦ until a job charge almost a decade ago, Iā€™d ridden to work every day, summer and winter, for 35 years.!
It usually wasnā€™t far, 15 miles each way, but that daily ā€˜practiceā€™ kept my skill set up to speed.
Everything from simple daft stuff like physically man-handling the bike, to familiarity and ā€˜feelā€™ for the road surfaces. Nowadays, while I always choose a bike, irrespective of the weather, I have far less call to go anywhere. I could never understand why folk would go for a ā€˜Rideoutā€™, surely you just use your bike.?? Now I find myself looking for a reason or a place to go simply as I miss riding a motorsickle.
The BikeSafe folk, (I refer to the course as ā€˜chase me copperā€™ ) were really good, turns out some Coppers are ā€˜normalā€™ after allā€¦ they offer a good opportunity to have a recalibration and it makes you think about your riding in a way you may not have done for years, possibly since passing your test.
Waaaay back when the world was black and white my dad and brothers got me to do the local RAC/ACU sponsored training, subsequently I did the Star Rider one and more lately have been on two BikeSafe sessions, while it guarantees nowt, each has proved useful and interesting.
Have fun folks, sand keep honing those skills.

2 Likes

You will have to talk to the politicians about that, the job is not as attractive as it was now the police pension has been decimated, and they cannot strike for pay.

Would you have their job and have to face radicals throwing bricks and fire bombs at you for defending your own rights?

:roll_eyes:

1 Like