Norge 1200 meltdown

Engine oil.
Mk111 lemon every 5000k.
750 breva 5000m.
Other oils on the 10,000 k or m depending on bike.
I do not use fully synthetic oil, if you do it should last 10,000 miles minimum. Probobly 20,000 miles.

The lil Breva handbook says change g/box and b/box oils at 5,000 miles but first time I checked them the oil looked as good as new so I left it.
IMHO Guzzi over egg their service requirements.

So it seems to be down to oil quality / specification?

I don’t think so Mike H. What Ian says make sense to me. Modern synthetics should be more than capable of doing the business. I think the dealer is top notch too, and if he was using inferior oil in new bikes I’m sure he’d have a record with MG Warranty, going back over 20 years, that they wouldn’t be at all happy with. So it’s still a mystery, but I’ll be phoning for more info at the weekend and I’ll post what I get.

The point I made about the viscosity rating was only a suggestion as to what might have caused a problem, lets not jump to conclusions before we know the facts.

I doubt it very much that it is the oil that’s the problem.
On CARC Guzzis 10/60 every 6000miles or so is required. After the intial 6000 miles they should use hardly any oil, this can be seen by the drain hose from the airbox not needing to be emptied very often.
Anyone watching the Euro football matches might have seen the advertising for Castrol Edge, stick in the 10/60 for peace of mind.
I hope you get to the bottom of the problem soon. Only the early oil pumps caused major problems so it will be interesting to see what is the real cause. Best of luck.DaveM2012-06-21 12:50:56

Well - the Bike is ready and I’m flying down to collect it on Saturday week. The information I have so far is that the starter motor has been changed, as well as some ABS component. Still a mystery as to what caused the engine to give up on the motorway. The only way I can see the starter motor bieng a contributory factor is if it had kept running after the previous start, or had switched on at some stage. I would have thought that I would hear that, but a mate says it used to happen on an old BMW that his brother had, and he found it really hard to hear it inside his lid. Add 20 years of helmet development and the same 20 years of my hearing deteriorating and I suppose it’s possible that I might not have copped it.
Thinking back - when the breakdown guy tried to start it I think the starter motor did keep on running until he disconnected his battery booster cables. And also my battery was flat as a crepe, so maybe.
I expect to get a fuller report when I collect the bike, but I reckon it’s not really a problem in a starter motor itself that will keep it running, but rather in a relay.

Its great that your getting your bike back, and in someways a more minor issue than an engine seize.

The start relay could stick, but the bad news is that it’s controlled by the ECU which is supposed to kill the starter once it senses the engine is running, probably using the same perameters which switch the headlight on.

There is a fault that has been spotted by Newcombe Bros in Chelmsford with some Stelvios, that might happen across other models. There are 2 starter motor relays! I was shown how in shorting the extra realy the starter moter ran even though the bike was turned off. If water gets in and shorts this extra relay the starter moter will run and run until it burns out, as happened to another Essex Stelvio owner. This can cause the battery to discharge enough for the electric ignition to stop working. This could be the cause of a sudden engine failure, it could have just switched off!

My bike, 2010 Stelvio NTX has now had the additional relay removed. I have it here reference V23134-B52-X506 and marked 12V and also ++1017 Tyco electronics made in Portugal. It is not a waterproof relay and the pair sit in rubber boots in the RH side of the fairing.

If you have this set up I would advise you to contact your local dealer for more information.

See my post last month http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14333&KW=stelvio+relay&PID=182532#182532Chris750s2012-07-11 16:35:28

Yes I had that on the LM1, rain got into the starter button, I was in Wales or somesuch equally deserted place and was barely aware of some small weird noise. For some time (an hour or more?) I was wondering what it was and trying to place it. 'Twas the starter pinion crashing into the flywheel, honestly was barely able to hear it until I’d stopped for the next junction or whatever it was.

\

Fortunately no obvious damage so must have been doing it intermittently.

The Norge does not have two start relays Chris. Why they cocked it up on the Stelvio is anyone’s guess. But that fault has been known about for some time now, I even thought there was a service release about it.

Interesting few posts there. Thanks guys. So it seems likely that that could have happened. It would have generated a fair amount of heat too, so that could have been what I smelled. Looking at the circuit diagram the Norge only seems to have one relay, but the same diagram also refers to the Breva - maybe they have the same electrics. Anyway I’ll be checking out whatever relay is there.
A week to go before I collect it.

Brian

There really is only one start relay on the Norge.