NTX/XPA Exhaust

Inspector Barker start blowing at the exhaust header gasket last week. Got stuck in today and all 4 four head nuts or studs and nuts came out with out issue. Big relief.

The back box came off in one piece and the NS down pipe is nice and loose. The OS head pipe is proving troublesome and won’t come of the front box input pipe yet, but it is soaking in release oil and I am optimistic.

The issue.
There are tell tale signs that the input pipes into both the front and back boxes are part cracked at they are sootted up.

So, any classic exhaust restorers out there?

Not so much restoration but…
Roy at O&S made a corking system for a 650 TT I was working on a while ago.
Ditched the collector box too which made a huge improvement to sound & performance
The NTX exhaust has had some welding done & didn’t prove too bad.
Best of luck
Steve

Thanks Steve, Any more details than O&S?

here ya gohttp://www.osmc.co.uk/index.htm

I have an OSMC system on the V1000 for over 17 yrs all good Annie has a cusom 2:1 on the Virago again all good. The pic of the 535 IS Annies Bike THAT was prior to it being painted 2 tone green we had the paint job done prior to 1996 The system is still goodguzzibear2013-05-20 09:50:35

I’ve been toying with getting rid of the 1st expansion chamber underneath the side cover for a while to see if I can get a bit more poke out of mine-any one done this ?

[QUOTE=chris a] Â I’ve been toying with getting rid of the 1st expansion chamber underneath the side cover for a while to see if I can get a bit more poke out of mine-any one done this ?

[/QUOTE]

Spoken with Roy. That is he way he manufactures them. One muffler at the end. Not cheap thought.

Hmmm maybe not low outlay BUT after 20+ yrs mine is all ok … the Busso silencers I bought when I got the bike lasted under 4 yrs… so up to now that would have been 4+ sets and the centre pipe as well as I wonder how many down pipes?

The only problems with S/S is them going yellow then brown it is hard work to keep them all shiny like chrome.

One thing to check with Roy is how heavy the exhaust will be and whether any extra weight is acceptable.
All the best
Steve

[QUOTE=chris a] Â I’ve been toying with getting rid of the 1st expansion chamber underneath the side cover for a while to see if I can get a bit more poke out of mine-any one done this ?

[/QUOTE]
Hi Chris
Ditto! I’m looking at using a piece of car exhaust to bridge the part under the side panel as a tester.
Only seen this on the TT650 and it worked well.
Hope all’s well there,
Steve

From experiance i would say Roys sytem will be around 1/2 the weight of the original

[/quote]
Hi Chris
Ditto! I’m looking at using a piece of car exhaust to bridge the part under the side panel as a tester.
Only seen this on the TT650 and it worked well.
Hope all’s well there,
Steve[/quote]Someone in Northern France did the same trick using the flexible car stuff as a linking piece but he never came back with any feedback on how the bike ran afterwards-just after more poke and midrange rather than db’s and it’s got to be a cheap mod too !!