Oils

This may be an old question but. What oils go in a Norge 8v. ie:- synthetic/mineral, and where to get 20l of it.

I believe it should be a fully synthetic 10w60. It is available in various brands, I have used Silkolene. I understand this is the recommendation for all the large CARC bikes regardless of whether they are 4 or 8 valve.

Hi

I was up on the Red Kite rally and we popped into the dealer in Gloucester (I think or was it Worcester) and he said that 10/60 was too thick and 10/50 was a better option; but to make sure it was a good oil with the right additives. The suggestion was that you could run on 10/40.

I am about to swap over from 10/60 to 10/50 especially as I have chocloate cams in my engine :frowning:

every other recommendation I have seen, including from the great Pete Roper - don’t use anything other than 10/60

If unsure of your cams use what Guzzi recommend.
It may help in any claim.
Using a different oil will not.

I also heard the 10w50 recommendation from Jason Sutcliffe I think, but stuck with 10 60.

This would have been Streffords in Worcester. They should know and have a good rep, although sadly they are no longer an official dealer owing to Piaggio’s “policy”

Slightly puzzled by the claim that the 10/60 is ‘thicker’ than a 10/50? The main difference between the two is the 60 is better for managing a hotter running engine than a 50, or a 40 come to that. A manufacturer would only recommend hotter running oils if it was necessary. The 10w (winter) is the cold thickness/viscosity the 40/50/60 is the protection factor at over 100f (though this is an old standard it’s still used). As we all know, hot oil is materially thinner than a cold one, it’s the effectiveness at higher temperatures that dictates the 60.
You could argue that here in the UK we won’t be experiencing temperatures like say southern Italy etc but as others have said, unless there’s an extreme situation, you have always to go with the manufacturer recommendations.
In recent years there’s been an increasingly wide range of viscosities being introduced in bikes & cars with the trend going towards thinner oils (remember when Guzzi went from a thick mineral based Harleyesque 20/50 to a fully synthetic 10/60?). A lot of this is partly to help control temperature in relation to the ever tightening Euro emissions standards. Heck, last year Piaggio launched their Euro 4 compliant four stroke stop/start engine 125cc recommending a 0w30-might be low on friction but long term wear on the engine? I think so!!

The problem with these ‘wide band’ oils is that a lot of additives have to be added to the oil base. It is these additives that actually disappear first during use. If using these I would reduce the oil change interval. Thick oils don’t aid cooling. Opie oils have written a very interesting article quite critical of the trend to these oils. Oils should be selected on average ambient temperature. I still think the overall in cooler weather in Britain does not require Xw60 oils. There are oils which have a higher temp rating than Guzzi recommended Agip racing 10w60. Motul do a great range of Ester based (resistant to extreme temps) oils in the 10/15W/50 weights. People often forget flow rate is better than thickness particularly at the warm up stage and for oil cooling- Norge’s etc.