Pennine Guzzisti Sunday Run

Pennine Guzzisti – Run Out on 27th June 2021
This weekend was originally intended to be the Pennine Rally, but due to circumstances which need no explanation, that had to be cancelled. So when Kevin Gladstone decided to organise a run for the Sunday, this seemed to be an ideal way to spend a day which was already committed in the diary. Rather than spending the morning in a tent recovering from the excesses of the previous evening, I was therefore up shortly after 6 am getting ready to set off to “Devil’s Bridge” at Kirkby Lonsdale in Cumbria.
The forecast was looking good, and I had an easy journey at a pleasant temperature and, after filling the tank, arrived in plenty of time for 8:30 meeting time. Kevin and Stumpy were already there, and within a few minutes Tony arrived to make up a small but select group. By the time tea and baps had been consumed there was, as usual on a good day, a considerable selection of bikes parked. (The lay-by is actually marked as for motorcycles only on a Sunday!).
We headed off to the West along main roads, and, as he had forewarned us, Tony went off on a “frolic of his own” by the time we stopped for the first of many wee breaks. The route took us via Greenodd and over towards the coast via Grizebeck. The roads were surprisingly clear of traffic, and we managed to keep up a reasonable pace over what were some excellent biking roads – at points we got up to almost 59 mph! The A595 has some excellent stretches with sweeping bends (and some which tighten up quite rapidly to keep us on our toes). Young Kevin lead the way on his V11, while the rest of us older folk followed on our V7s – of varying age (an 08 plate (mine) plus a 12 and a 65 plate). The sound of these bikes rumbling across the countryside was music to the ears.
We met Tony again at Wicham, where the 595 turns to go up along the coast, and rode up there through Ravenglass (where the La’l Ratty steam railway terminates), Gosforth and Calder Bridge, where we went onto the white roads, stopping for a brew (and a ****!) on the way. These are interesting narrow roads, but were quite empty for most of the time, but unsurprisingly we came across the odd motorist who thought their car was the width of an artic when encountering vehicles coming in the opposite direction.
We were then lead through what were literally the “high points” of the ride – going over a number of the famous Cumbrian passes. The first was Whinlatter, where we stopped for piccies of the impressive views, and then went onto Newlands, which drops spectacularly down to Buttermere, where we went on towards Honister, stopping in the valley to take it all in (and grab a bit of packed butties). Honister is a steep climb, with the slate mine museum at its top, which then drops down to Derwent Water and Keswick.
Keswick was as busy as would be expected on a warm Sunday in June, and we continued on and headed South running along Thirlmere and down into Grasmere, past Rydal and into Ambleside. Here we turned up the “Struggle” and stopped by the Kirkstone Inn at the top. Unusually, there was a fine view (it is often misty up here), and we then set off back to the A65, finishing off at the chippy in the square in Settle.
Over mileage was 249, including from home in West Yorkshire, and took roughly 12 hours. Not only was the riding excellent, but so was the company. As we stopped quite frequently, there was a fair bit of banter and we got to know each other a little better. I certainly had a good day out, and I hope the others did – and I put a dry bike back in the garage – having seen no rain all day (despite the clouds coming over darker from time to time).
Thanks again to Kevin for planning the route and leading us through these glorious parts of Cumbria and along such splendid roads.

Cheers!

Jim

Great first post Jim!