"Quick release" fuel connector - EV

I would like to be able to remove the tank from my 2005 EV California. To do so my workshop manual tells me to “disconnect the fuel line quick coupling” but does not say how to do this and I cannot seem to work out how it detaches - I am reluctant to use too much force without knowing if I should be squeezing, pulling or pushing (as the bishop said to the actress). Can any one help?
Chris Grove

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SYAS5xsUlo guzzibear2013-09-29 15:00:21

Push the collar back,And pull the fitting off.
Before you put it back spray the whole lot with a good slicon spray,Will be so much easier next time.

“Quick coupling” an oxymoron if ever there was. First of all release the pressure in the fuelpipe. This is done by disconnecting the pump electrically then try to start the engine.I use a 12mm open ended spanner and put that behind the collar on the pump side of the connector. Then push the pipe towards the spanner which you are holding and then slowly push the spanner away from the pump. Slowly is the important bit, there is an O ring seal and this grips the pipe well.

It’s not a bad idea to get some spare O rings as they sometimes swell with the petrol making them difficult to re-fit.

So far on the Norge, I have never had a problem re-fitting it. Ideally the O ring ought to be made of a material resistant to petrol, but this is Guzzi. Remember the half plastic, diesel only, fuel filters?

any o rings used on a fuel system should be viton

Many thanks for these most helpful replies - now all I’ve got to do is uncouple it.
Chris G

Let us know how you got on, so far I have failed.

Last time I had to do it, it came off before I realised it.