Rallies from a different point of view

I take what I consider to be a sensible amount of gear (and always wind up taking something I don’t use). I use throwovers and a tank bag (which I have all the time anyway). So far as I have noticed it has not affected my riding or the handling of the bike. If the gear ruins your riding you either have the wrong gear, the wrong bike, or too much gear. There may be safety issues too if you are overloaded.
Two up I don’t do for long distances any more, or if I did I would be getting a serious tourer capable of it. I do take your point about the one on the back and know my wife never really liked it much once journeys went over 50 miles or so.
I like the outdoors and the minimalist feel of camping. I stay in hotels all the time for business so enjoy the change. When we go on holiday as a family we also camp as we like the freedom and my wife can have a smoke whenever she wants. Home from home.
Each to their own but I would say if you want to go to rallies but don’t want to camp there are usually options. Why not try a B and B at the V Twin and see how it goes? (book early)

Mind you, you said you didn’t like the beer or the music either. In my experience organisers make some effort to get both of these right and I have had excellent beer and decent music at most rallies I have been to.

What do you like? Maybe you should try Glyndbourne? I would love this too but I don’t think I would know anybody there! (and probably could not afford it)Somersetlemon2014-07-02 17:15:14

King Tiger rider here,still think I have a bit more capacity should I need it, looking/thinking about soft panniers for the fuel tank and possibly front crash bar mounted bags or boxes. Don’t fancy a trailer but I don’t knock them as I know club members who are more than happy towing them! Over and out! (Wrong vernacular so I’ve been told, but remember why).

[QUOTE=iandunmore]

Mind you it is with the Navy Bike Club so could be different.[/QUOTE]

If I recall my ol’ Dad’s tales correctly,
you should maybe resist any invitation to step into a barrel.
Take care

Phil

Russian bike rallies often have a VIP area. Really. Would something like that help?

I was going to make a double entendrebut will shut up !!

ahathese VIP areas of which you speak ? they often come with extras ? apart from men in dark glasses packing heat

I am Kates generation and creak just as much as her, but I love travelling light, although my wife prefers to take the carlast year I took the googler and we camped on the edge of Lake Como, also by the side of the Moselle, in a field in Belgium ( awful) but we did use F1 a few times as it was so wet and coldI love camping cant get enough of it especially if the site has showers https://www.flickr.com/photos/86182814@N02/9881944564/in/set-72157636214071656
rapheal glynn2014-07-02 21:24:19

Am yet to camp by Lake Como you lucky booga…

Have camped at Lake Garda, which is not too far away.

Over is a redundancy, just say either over or out.Or talk normal like the rest of us.And they stopped us saying roger and wilco as well.Spoilsports.But we still asked if there were any friendly bears out there?

Are you insinuating it might not be a barrel of laughs.

Pork barrel…??

No chance then where you live!

In Mexboroug near Old Denaby there is a pub called the Boy and the Barrell.I didn’t try it.

Which Ian? The boy or the barrel?

Tch, 30 years rule and all that you know.

I have also camped on a roundabout !!a trifle noisy at 6 ammy favourite is Camping Municipal at Metz on the Mosellelovely showers ( cold) nice cafe and near town, the ruined bombed out church is a sobering reminder of past times ( RAF)I think three rivers meet there, at night its the most wonderful city to walk through

We camped at 2 good Municipale sites in France on the way to the guzzi club rally a few years ago…one in Valognes and t’other in Saumur, both lovely…
Metz sounds nice…

I camped for a few nights in a church yard on the isle of mull a few years ago when I had me Cali ,that was quiet !!..