Rallies from a different point of view

bobv7, if you only attend the rally during the day and don’t intend to either use the beer tent/marquee or park/camp on the field then you do not need a ticket.Nuff said.Stay in the town overnight or just come down for the day.But I do now know who a crap R4 ‘comedy’ might be aimed at as it appears to have your limited ability to handle people. Try us for a day, we may become addictive.BTW I don’t think people are getting at you, this is all in fun (as far as I am concerned).
iandunmore2014-07-07 09:23:59

Unfortunately I don’t know which R4 program you’re talking about as I gave up on that channel for comedy when in my opinion it went down hill after the loss of Humphrey Littleton, the absolute the master of timing and dry wit.

It’s not that I have a problem with people, it’s more that I’m apparently far too polite and approachable which can give the impression that I’m absolutely fascinated with what they have to say. Have you ever been cornered by a computer or steam train enthusiast? You can literally feel your will to live draining away. Unfortunately and maybe even unbelievably, there are motorcyclists who unwittingly can have the same effect by giving an intimate description of every single part, nut and bolt they have lovingly restored and polished by hand. And if I hear one more story of a heroic ride through scorching heat, torrential rain, ice and snow for no apparent rational reason…!

I don’t feel got at, but sometimes I’m more that a little surprised by the inappropriate ferocity and depth of feeling expressed at even the slightest suggestion others may have an alternative view. I sometimes wonder if motorcycling induces paranoia in otherwise totally rational folk, but then I’m not a member of any car or stamp collecting clubs. People,eh!

Lyttleton by Frunobulax. Johnny 2 tents picked me up on that one.A gentleman related to the last Viceroy of Inda and also ex Eton and the Guards (Grenadier of course) could not possibly use a n ‘i’.Whilst I don’t think the great man can ever be fully replaced I think Jack Dee is doing ok. Certainly I will be listening tonight. Though I am unsure as to his trumpeting skills.As for your second para, the club has people who do that as seen in Gambalunga but I find they answer questions if asked rather than lecture, probobly because they understand that not everybody shares their amount of enthusiasm.As for doing things for no rational reason, life is probobly irrational.Lastly I’ll reiterate, I don’t think people are too serious in their replies but we do enjoy camping. And in this day and age proper toilets, showers and decent camping gear are now normal.

I recently had the experience of an F1…It was a bit like camping, in that the showers and loos were shared, but you had an indoor bed with a TV and washbasin in your windowed cell.I also stayed in an Ibis Budget, a far better deal if you ask me, as you get your own loo and shower, and towels, as well as the bed, tv, basin etc.Not to be confused with the posh Ibis hotel, which was the full monty; carpets throughout, restaurant, bar, and a TV channel with French people being rude on it (no, not "your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries!).

Always been a double ensuite man myself. Last time I went motorcycling / camping was in 1976 in Cornwall, thankfully one of the hottest summers on record. My friends and I took an old canvas tent I borrowed from Henry, my neighbour who had served in the Eighth Army under Montgomery. I took the canvas, my friend Kevin took the poles and my other friend Jim took the ropes. When we first erected the tent in the first campsite we visited, people came over thinking we ran the place. It was sufficiently large to accommodate us and our three bikes. I look at the tents now and they seem so flimsy and small.No wooden poles. No proper ropes.

Just a whole lot better.

such is progress my boyI also have an ancient tent, but I dont use it, my modern tent is easy to erect and last years kepy myself and nephew dry thoghout a stormy few days in Belgium and was easy enough to fold up and pack awaybut then I am bonkers enough to admit to having camped without even a tenta decent sleeping bag and a groundsheet folded over worked for me I love F1, and yes they are a bit basic, but for me thats the real franceyou get to meet lots of people and i have had many invited from folks I have met at F1sdont get too comfy you might not want to get up and get moving in the morning !!!

I admire your spirit. My concerns about camping are as follows:
[1] Effort required to set-up and pack up (in the rain).
[2] Severe weather conditions
[3] Earwigs
[4] Other campers snoring and engaging in noisy sexual activities
[5] Strange noises and / or being attacked by wild animals
[6] Need to display continual stoicism

1, no problem, practice makes perfect.2, adventure.3, what, try wild boars in Germany.4, ear plugs.5, see 3 above.6, Greek theatre at a Guzzi rally, I think not.

Thanks Ian, you’ve convinced me.

My pleasure, see you in the bar.

Earwigs?
What about spiders and slugs?

Make excellent home made soup.And at the Kupferpaste you can have voles.

Camping with friends many years ago. Their little boy aged about 8 was whining and complaining he couldn’t get his welly on. “Stop whining, Ryan! Come here!” and mum pushes his foot in said welly. When things dried out it was wellies off and…poor frog.

Amphibians get a bum rap,
that mum ought to be frogmarched before a Court

Summer Camp coming up, I’ll be reporting on Pest In Show -
I’ll get my coat

Phil