recommended reading

Inspired by a post where another member was seeking a motorcycle related title, thought it might be helpful (and fun) to recommend motorcycle-themed reading that other Guzzisti might enjoy. I’ll kick off with:

Sons of Thunder: Writing from the Fast Lane: A Motorcycling Anthology - Neil Bradford

A collection of (short) motorcycling tales with works by: T.E. Lawrence, Roald Dahl, Melissa Holbrook Pierson, Robert Hughes, Hunter S. Thompson, Ted Hughes, Thom Gunn, Robert Pirsig and others. A great read - good holiday material, I’d say. A second volume was planned, but which never materialised afaik.

Readily available from used sources online, usually in paperback.

2 Likes

I can thoroughly recommend anything by Lois Pryce starting with Lois on the loose and Gordon G May, Overland to India.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Just ordered a (secondhand) copy. Looking forward to re-reading Hunter S. Thompson’s paean to the 900ss

2 Likes

For those interested in Primitive motorcycling, I would suggest, Two Wheels To War, by Martin and Nick Shelley
a tale of twelve bright young men who joined the BEF on their own motorcycles as Dispatch riders
it is a very moving book, and you realise that in the intervening 100 years, little has changed in the true spirit of motorcycling

A vote here for ‘One man Caravan’ by Robert Edison Fulton

1 Like

Great ideas and some for my reading pile, getting too much attention in this cool and soggy summer.
A fiction one from me, which inspired my first ride to Mandello in 2019. This is John Berger’s To the Wedding. A French railwayman leaves his home in Modane, Savoie, at the foot of the Col de Mont Cenis, before dawn, and rides over the pass (2083m) into Italy, then east on the long ride down the Po valley to its delta, where his daughter is getting married. A great bike journey story and a very particular wedding (but no spoilers).
Berger told a good story and was a serious motorcyclist. I loved those sweeping but still sharp bends and the corkscrew descent into Italy, though I turned left at the bottom and headed for the factory. A great ride out through the Jura and Savoy, homeward over the St Gotthard, though the September snow showers were a bit of a shock!

1 Like