Replica's whats the view from the inside ?

So having had a genuine LM1 “back in the day”, I have bought a well done (in my opinion) replica which started life as a G5. Muzzi Moto and Nigel Billinglsey did the work, and apart from a few points, engine and frame number, main stand etc. to my eyes at least, it looks the business.

Now, in other classic forums and owner groups I frequent the rivet counters pull stuff apart, because the left handed gangle pin is not Olive green, or the mirrors are not stamped with an “S” and the like, are the cognoscenti in here as fussy ?

I’m interested to read your views. Picture below, so you can pick at it !
LM1 EPR blue Nov18 9.JPG

Lovely!

No issues from me. Looks fabulous

Beautiful that!

As far as I am concerned it looks beautiful and I wouldn’t give a monkey’s for any none lemon differences. If you have bought it to ride and enjoy and not as an investment, who cares?

I have no problem with replicas unless someone tries to pass one off as something it is not. (I’m not suggesting you are doing that)
My bike started life as an 850T now it looks very much like a 750S but as I am not trying to fool anyone it says 950S on the side panels.

I agree with jmee if it is nice to ride and it makes you happy, sod the rivet counters!

That’s lovely that is.
The “rivet counters” hate my genuine series 1 Mk1 because it’s not original - spoked wheels :unamused: marzocchi forks :unamused: lanfrancs :unamused:
But I love it.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Or the beer holder.

Is it about context?
If it’s someone’s pride and joy then rivet counters stand aside.
If people have a show bike or offer a bike as an exemplar it has to be right.
This then begs the question of ‘What is original’? Moto Guzzi and a few other manufacturers are known to have mixed and matched parts to complete production runs.
I’ve lost count of the Guzzis that I’ve seen, heard of and worked on that had ‘incorrect’ parts; examples include T3 with 36mm cards and a hot cam, MkII LM with 40mm carbs, LM1000 with 15mm longer swing arm. All these bikes were a one owner from new and unmodified. Stories from the factory give an idea of how this occurred.
I’ve has a few comments about the Mongrel. “I bet you think that’s a proper T3 don’t you?” was the best!
Enjoy your bike
Steve
Pre revamp Mongrel.jpg

Just arrived back from NBS, unloaded from the van, and straight into the garage. :heart:falling in love again​:heart:

Its Pretty
ride it and enjoy it

Great looking bike,
(No time for rivet counters), I altered my 1000s to suit myself, devaluing it somewhat, but so what :smiley:

Interesting, perhaps even enlightened views so far.

Lovely looking machine. Enjoy owning it and riding it. It’s your P n J.
As has been said it’s about context. If it’s being sold or exhibited as an original LM then it should be exactly that.

Rivet counters do have their place, it’s good to know the definitive standard, but otherwise just enjoy it.

It does look nice, although to be honest personally I would rather have kept it and done it up as a G5, which would be a more comfortable ride, and also more exclusive these days.

I would have put 1000 Le Mans on the side panels to be honest, just to confuse and annoy everyone. I assume it is a 1000 if it has come from a G5.

It is (was) a 950G5 lump yes, but the demand for G5s is I guess less than for a lookalike Mk1

What we like best is bikes that have been modded - in whatever way and by ever whom (erk - ?) to suit their own tastes and needs. It looks great.

Well said.

I remember Titch Allen VMCC founder said similar, he was against restoring bikes to factory spec, as the modifications made over the years would then be lost. None of my bikes are standard, even the Stelvio has been modified to make it easier to maintain or better to ride.

I would think most bikes are non-standard after a while and as for ‘replica’s’, I probably couldn’t be bothered.

Roy Green from the Forest of Dean