Sell me a Guzzi

What! I come here looking for some info on Moto Guzzis and now you are saying I have to buy at least two?

It seems to be what happens, satanfriendly slippery slope, you have one and then before you know it, another one decides it wants to live with you

At least…
Guy and me have nine between us, but then we are a bit strange…

I’m suffering this as well. It’s a 1200 Sport (red) with me.I’ve had my V7 since October and only been able to do 278 miles.The Sport has a 800mm seat and might be a bit wide, I’m vertically challenged. I could only manage the V7 with the lower seat.

The seat is quite sculpted tho RL1, am small myself, twas manageable…

As an experiment,I muttered something about another bike this evening. The ensuing behaviour confirmed my worst fears: twitching followed by hyperventilation, progressing onto a venomous glare.

Imagine the reaction if I really did bring another one home. I would probably need to find some alternative accommodation!

Scary things then these Moto Guzzis. It appears you buy one and then you just have to buy another. I am sure in my case my wife would easily spot yet ‘another’ motorbike sat somewhere. May be if I bought another in the same colour scheme then…?

Since all your replies I’ve certainly looked away from other manufacturers and focusing purely on an MG. The more I read your words and look on the web the more I see the charm which is so important this time around.

satanfriendly2013-12-17 01:19:10

What you now have to realise is that at some time in the near future you are going to sit down with your friend and give a long list of what is wrong with your Moto Guzzi.Your friends will suggest getting rid of it.In a shocked voice you will say 'can’t do that, it’s my Moto Guzzi’And after that their is no going back.

There are various threads on here regarding the reliability issues experienced with some of the newer stuff. Guzzi are not as adept at ‘spinning plates’ as a few other, larger manufacturers.
Some you perhaps may not be able to access as a non club member.
Worth joining the club is…not much doin at the mo, but keep an eye on the events section, soon be spring…

Which to be honest is half the appeal. Something to tell stories about and have its quirky sides. I can live with that easily.

The ZZR1400 was quite the opposite. Definitely not boring (with that power?), but it did everything with such consummate ease and reliability. In many ways the old ZZR1100 was more fun as it got you involved and you had to work to make it work.

I to have had many bikes over the years and the last one a Beemer but now got 2 cali’s 96 & 97 both 1100i comfort and easy to work on wont ever change again no problems cheap insurance £ 84 for both full comp

I had a VFR800 for a while, and jolly nice it was, too. I remember doing a feet-up “U” turn, 2 up, on the test ride. It just felt right.My Breva 1100 gives me the same sort of feeling, just “right”. Yes it’s big, heavy, soft suspension, but it does feel “planted” on the move. The transmission may not be as smooth as the Honda, but you certainly know there’s a proper engine down there.Reliability I can’t comment on, having had it but a few months and only gone to the V-Twin on it, but it ain’t a “shove it in the garage and forget it” sort of bike - you expect “foibles” to crop up now and again…

Had a VFR 750 got bored with it, took a ZZR1100 too heavy and also booooring had a V1000 Guzzi for over 20 yrs and bought the V11 le mans…V1000 lazy but very satisfying tourer and everyday ride V11 a BIIIIG smile every time certainly NOT boring the torque is outstanding not the 140+ top end but SO WHAT

If anyone must have a bike with a high top speed (which they can never use) just put a metric speedo on a guzzi. You get all the right numbers to show off.I remember a kid down our road being most impressed that my Spada III had 240 as the top speed on the speedo.Brian UK2013-12-21 09:38:32

Debatable. Heavy yes, boring? I never thought so once in eleven years of owning the same ZZR. An engine with real grunt. Think I had around 85,000 on the clocks and other than the first 600 (not my bike) every one was full of character.

As it is chaps I’ve really got my eye set on a certain V11 being sold by one of the chaps on this forum. Of course that is if it doesn’t go before I get back home and my settlement is made which looks close.

In reference to boring. Any life without a bike in it is boring!

Was the seat wide would you recall?

Not, if I remember rightly…
1100 sports suffered with wide seats, one of those I would struggle with cos of my height, not so my daytona, the seat of which narrows at the front.
The 1200 sport I rode was Suttys 2 valver…

Ha ! Just noticed…V 11 birthday treat Lucifer…? guykate2013-12-24 08:15:56

Thank you very much!

And to add to my birthday treat they’ve settled my claim so now in the market for the Guzzi I so want. I have a few ideas, just need a few insurance quotes in the new year.

Have a happy Christmas all and so many thanks for all your prompt and informative replies.

Have a good one

Yep, you too…