Stainless spindles?

I was hoping to rechrome the wheel spindles on my le Mans II but am finding it hard to get anyone to do it. My usual plater doesn’t do hard chrome and the guy I use for hard chrome wont do spindles!..So just wondering if I get them machined in stainless is this a good idea or not. I know stainless can be problematic if not greased up and heard it is not great for aplications where the bolt will used a lot(like changing tyres)… Any thoughts?

I would quite happy put stainess ones in as long as they are made from decent stainless
to hard chrome them they will first need to be machined undersize then hard chromed then ground to correct size, much more cost effective to have them machined in Stainless
have a word with Roy at osm

I doubt that galvanic corrosion will be a problem and, although stainless steel does not quite have the tensile strength of 8.8 HT steel I think a spindle made in SS should still be OK. I would be happy to use one anyway. If you find a source I wouldn’t mind a heads up.

I’m sure Chris Shaw would be able to supply - he is building up his range of Guzzi parts, and does spindles for BM airheads.
http://www.shawstainless.co.uk/www.shawstainless.co.uk/info.php?p=1

If i remember correctly i had my lm2 spindles machined from 416 stainless.OR you can sleeve the unthreaded ends with stainless tube as i did on the T3.ralph2013-01-21 12:48:24

I have heard of Stainless spindles fracturing. This will have been due to the wrong grade being used. You will need to speak to a manufacturer to ensure the correct grade is supplied for the application.

This may or may not be an urban myth. I’ve never actually seen a fractured stainless wheel spindle. Many other forums discuss this, but myself, even though I have the means and expertise to make them, I wouldn’t fit stainless spindles. Why compromise safety for cosmetic reasons.
Also there may be insurance implications in the event of an accident.

I had a conversation with Roy at OS Motorcycles a long while ago and he, then, would not make stainless wheel spindles due to the possibility of fracture.

I was talking to a mate of mine how used to run a mechanical design office (drawing office) he said no why use any stainless steel for that application. Good old EN24T is best.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I’ll be going with the original ones!

I recently bought a new (replica, but good price) front axle for my Spada from an excellent, large online Moto Guzzi parts supplier in Europe. I mounted it in the lathe and it was nowhere near straight, I took a video of it merrily wobbling around and they gave me a refund. It only appeared to have decorative chrome, not hard chrome??? Does anyone know if the original axles for round barrel big twins had hard chrome or decorative chrome??? What chrome was left on the end of my original axle looked too shiny for hard chrome (maybe because only the working section was ground???).James2013-01-24 08:45:25

I believe modern japanese spindles are hollow.
How much stress are they under.

Yes and so are mountain bicycles wheel spindles and unbelievably light,well the very expensive one I was looking at a week ago did and I would say they are given some stick by they way they are used.

It is all down to the alloy they are made from, after all some alloys are stronger than steel, as are the titanium parts used on Racing bikes…

Sometimes tho’ we are as guilty of over kill as the Americans.

I remember when we went to Kennedy Space Centre …one of the laughs they had was when they started “sharing” stuff with the Russians and proudly showed off the “Space pen” that cost huge amounts of $ to develop so Astronauts could write in zero gravity.

The Russians smiled when asked what the Cosmonauts used …and produced …A Pencil

A very good example of overkill guzzibear2013-01-25 12:25:20

And for my two pence worth:

I use stainless EVERYTHING on both of my bikes, including all of the bolts, brackets, linkages, fairing pins and brake fixings. (which are meant to be high tensile steel EN24T.)

The Stainless I have used is a very high quality EN28J
It is very resistant to corrosion and has not yet attacked any of the Alloy on either of my two V-twins in the 20 years its been on the bikes.

When the spindles were made, they were redesigned for strength, with a big radius on any edges and polished to a good finish in order to lower the chance of fracture.

If I were to make one today, I would however use Grade 5 titanium bar. It is a bit more expensive but light and strong and fairly non-reactive.
If it is good enough for an F1 / Moto GP season then it should last me to the V-twin rally and back.

I am happy to show you a couple of photos if you want them.

From my days in manufacturing valves for the petrol chemical industry, 316 and 304 were not used for stems or spindles. 316 strain hardened was used. Forgotten the grade. 416 would need to be heat treated, as in the condition A (soft annealed) that it is supplied in, it turns prittle in sub zero temps. You would need it heat treated to 36-46 Rw on the C scale The preferred spindle material was 17-4PH which also is supplied in the soft annealed condition and will require heat treatment. Both 416 and 17-4PH will need finish grinding after heat treatment, as they will be as hard as a whore’s heart.

Thanks all for the info!!

Hi. These guys are currently re-chroming my spindles: http://www.ashfordchroming.com/
gogoguzzi2013-01-31 15:49:34