Steering locks - LM2 and T3

How do you remove the old steering lock?

both my lemon2 and cali T3 have steering locks but no keys, I know steering locks are not much cop, but it would be nice for them to work, I have 2 new locks with keys, short of drilling out the old ones out, is there any way to remove them,anyone done it and have advice? feel free to PM me if the method should not be on open forum!

I ended up drilling mine out as per the instructions below.

The only thing I was very careful to do was make sure that I had all of the remains of the the pin etc as I was concerned that if it, or anything fell into the “steering tube,” that the debris might fall into and lock the steering bearing (dangerous) even though on mine it has a bearing seal.

If that had occured, I would have had to strip the front end off and make sure all was well.

Not a very difficult job if you have a half decent drill bit.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/lock/ReggieV2014-02-07 15:15:59

now sorted, drilled out and replaced, its easy when you know where to drill!

To be honest steering locks are useless anyway a thief just yanks the bars each way and it is done, false security. Better never using them and getting a real good chain and lock as well as datatag with smart water and one of the alarms as reccomended previously.

NONE of the above will stop the determined low life taking your bike BUT they DO put off the pro’s who don’t want the hassle OR the chance they can be caught.

The eejits will also be put off ,slightly only the soopid dope heads will still attempt to take a bike…

[QUOTE=guzzibear] To be honest steering locks are useless anyway a thief just yanks the bars each way and it is done, false security. Better never using them and getting a real good chain and lock as well as datatag with smart water and one of the alarms as reccomended previously.
Â
NONE of the above will stop the determined low life taking your bike BUT they DO put off the pro’s who don’t want the hassle OR the chance they can be caught.
Â
The eejits will also be put off ,slightly only the soopid dope heads will still attempt to take a bike… [/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, It is worth putting the lock on to deter someone pushing it away, but it won’t be any use to stop a determined thief, but then I generally keep my bikes within sight, or properly locked up at work!

No cos most KNOW if you give the bars a good yank left right the lock will break and IF some eejit tries it you can have the thing broke in there saw it happen caught the guy about 15 yrs ago but the bike was a nightmare to get sorted. The Police who attended said they are not worth using. So easy to break or cause annoying damage to.

Or you end up with a steering head like this one i removed from a Spada