Stornello - diodes and power to switch

But they are in my experience with older Italian machines generally pretty tough too. I just hate not knowing!

Finally!! A lovely fat blue spark! What a relief.

Problem? The windings on the stator plate, at least I am assuming. I found out because I eventually decided (and with hindsight much too late) to substitute the stator with another from another Stornello I have that I knew worked ok. I just didn’t really want to disturb an unrestored bike that worked perfectly for parts swapping, but it did the trick. I had checked the windings previously for continuity and they showed up as ok, but it goes to show that electrics can fool, especially if you’re a fool in the first place. I’m still not convinced by the ignition switch though, and if I get a moment tomorrow, will try and start the bike.

Anyway, stator plates changed, timing roughly set, battery connecyted, key in ignition, and first kick, big fat spark!

Enjoy the moment here: Stornello spark - finally…

I had a feeling the problem lay there. Anyway, you can now move forward, no more risk of tearing all the hair out!One day you will be able to compare the two windings to see what the difference really is, maybe a short to earth internally.

Do you know what the typical resistance should be?

Brilliant news. Should be a runner by tomorrow.I have moved my piston about 50mm down the bore but it is still very tight so am going to split the cases and push it out the last bit with the hydraulic press. So long as I put something soft like some MDF under the barrel, it should be fine.Took the right side cover off tonight and looks like something has been living under there!

Don-Spada2013-05-23 00:48:22

Yes mine was as equally-wildlife infested. I used blocks of softwood under my barrel in the end and it was fine. I’ll try and start it today though the fule taps are going to be difficult, I just know it…

Sorry Adam, don’t know what the coil resistance should be, but probably only a few ohms. But you should also check resistance to earth from the winding side of the points (with the points open. This should still be the same figure, not less.If it is lower then it suggests that the coil winding is shorting to earth somewhere, which will reduce, or prohibit any output.I’m saying all this from theory, I don’t have any direct experience with that particular model.

Thanks for all your help Brian, I’ll give it a go.

She runs!!

Started up third kick after who knows how many years? Without battery too. Motor sounds good, bit tappety at first but I left it to run for 10 minutes as it has had a rebore and new piston and it all settled down once warmed up. I’ll be retorquing the head down and rechecking tappets anyway. All lights and horn work too, so MOT here we come in a few weeks. I had to use the tank from my Scrambler, the fuel taps as I thought are no good, the little rubber gaskets had disintegrated. Shame, considering the ridiculous cost of Stornello/Lodola taps in Italy.

Watch it start here: Stornello runs!italianmotor2013-05-23 19:39:51

Can you check that link Adam, it doesn’t work for me.

It says the video is private

Apologies, sorted, it’s here: Stornello runs!

I do like the high security ignition key. Sounds pretty good considering the length of time since it last ran.

Yes the key isn’t exactly hi-tec, and then the plastic top of it broke off after being wrenched right left and centre a few hundred times, but I can get another from Italy. Most of these bikes I used to see in Italy didn’t have a key but a nice 2 inch ‘chiodo’ (nail…).