Strange whining noise

You could drink it through a long bendy straw? If you put enough Scotch in with it Ray will help, I bet.
I took the tank off: first of all undo the electrical connectors (which should be zip-tied to the cables, nice and tidy above the throttle bodies, and the big fat rubber pipe which feeds the fuel pump). As you lift the tank off you’ll have to undo the clamp at the fuel pressure valve at the front, just underneath, and remove that pipe, and then the thinner overflow pipe from right underneath and undo the fuel solenoid until petrol spills out into a bucket which You hold it over. It’ll be a lot easier (and perhaps safer!) to re-affix the wires to the removed gadgets than leaving them on the tank. It’s all a bit fiddly, to be honest, and worth taking your time over. When you screw them back on again, clean up the threads on the outlet lugs, and put some new plumbers’ PTFE tape on the threads to seal them. BUT -are you sure this all needs doing? As the bike only needed 13 litres I would suspect a few other things… maybe the fuel filter could do with changing (or the internal sieve around the solenoid could be blocked, so … yes, worth removing that solenoid, being careful to undo the right wiring connectors and NOT twist the cables. Erratic warning light could just be down to corrosion in those electrical connectors?

This will help
http://motoguzzimaintenance.wikifoundry.com/page/Moto+Guzzi+Metal+Stone+Air+%26+Fuel+Filter+Change

Hmmmmmmm! Spent the day putting up new trellis in the garden so didn’t get to look at the bike. I’m tempted to unscrew the solenoid and quickly shove a short bolt back in its place to stem the flow of petrol (I will put my cigarette out first). That way I can test the solenoid at my leisure and also run the bike to see if the whining noise has disappeared. Does anyone know the thread diameter? It looked like about 10mm when I was playing with it the other day.

Good god no, do it properly, drain it first then take tank off. And remember even when empty there is explosive gas in the interior so no naked flames, fags or otherwise.

Edit: yes if you follow wires back there should be connectors.

HTH
Mike H2013-12-01 22:00:20

But it would clear a blocked petcock.

And more besides …

Your concern for my safety is heart warming boys!

Earwax?

Doesn’t Ken have a story like this?

Hi everyone, still haven’t fixed it but went out on it today anyway as it was such a beautiful day. whining noise still present and seems to be getting worse (I know, I know! If I don’t fix it soon I will knacker the fuel pump.) Interestingly, no problems until nearly back home when I experienced a loss of power after bumping over a speed bump a little hard. I tried to nurse the bike along but eventually it stalled. When I restarted everything was OK again. This makes me think the comb in the tank may be full of rust which the bump shifted around so the fuel supply was even more choked off. Guess I will be removing the petcock completely and have a look. Only problem is I would rather ride it than fix it!

Seriously needs taking apart only way to be certain ezactly what’s going on. The way it’s going you could be stranded if you keep using it.

I know you are right Mike. I just need more time off work and more daylight hours in each day!

Ah right yes ~ weather’s crap as well

OK boys,

Tank is now drained and I am still in one piece! I have tested the solenoid on the bench and it works fine so is removed from the list of suspects. Next I will take out the comb from the tank and check it is free of debris. If that is fine I will have to bite the bullet and remove the tank to replace the fuel filter. However, my question is, do I have to refit the solenoid operated fuel tap? It seems like a completely superfluous piece of kit if ever I saw one. Am I breaking any laws if I run with the fuel line to the pump permanently open? My car doesn’t have any fuel taps electronic or otherwise! Happy Xmas, Richard.

Your car doesn’t have the fuel tank above the engine. But my Norge has no fuel tap of any sort, but the pump is inside the tank, not below it. If you are happy to risk a fuel leak between the tank outlet and the pump, then no problem.The alternative of course would be to use a manual tap.
Brian UK2013-12-26 22:38:49

Hi Brian,

You are right. If anything, a car fuel pump has to overcome negative (i.e. below atmospheric) pressure to pump fuel up from the tank. An in-tank system such as your Norge will always be at ambient (just above atmospheric depending on the depth of the pump within the tank) and hence neither will be under pressure and subject to leakage before the pump. The Stone’s pump will have about a 20cm head (although this is 20cm is petrol and thus lower pressure than 20cm of water) and thus could be subject to leakage when the bike was not in use (although I would be shocked if the various components and unions could not withstand this amount of pressure). Technically, I feel the possibility of fuel leakage is not significantly greater without the tap acting as a cut-of in the system. However, I am concerned that there may be a legal reason why the tap has to be in place.

Yours,
Richard

Your insurance might be void (e.g.in the case of fire) if you don’t inform them. If it is working why give yourself such hassle? The machine will have been built to conform to type approval / best practice so removing the sov may be classed as defeating a safety device. Its your chestnuts you’ll be roasting.

Edit: not sure where you get “below” atmos pressure in a cars fuel tank as mentioned in your post. Pressure varies due to relative height of air column.Mad Farquhar2013-12-27 01:00:20

Stop Press! Took the comb out of the tank and it was almost completely clogged with nasty grey sh!t! Stuff was like grey glazier’s putty when wet with fuel but dried out to a fine white powder. Anyone have any idea what this stuff is/how it got in there? I am fairly sure this amounts to problem solved but I am now going to replace the fuel filter anyway as I assume this gunk will have found it’s way down there too.Richard632013-12-27 18:10:54

Paste dries to powder. Grey becomes white. Soluble - in petrol (methanol!).
Aluminium Hydroxide?

Mad Farquhar2013-12-27 23:33:03

I think the difference between the Norge (etc) setup and yours, is that the fuel pump acts as a cut off valve, but in your case it is outside the tank. Could you remove the tank with fuel in it, without fitting a cut off valve of some type?