T3 bevel box drain with swinging arm?

Magnet’s in the Drain Plug IIRC not the filler/vent

It isn’t on my T3 bevel box. Â It’s in the filler at the top. Â

Yes by default the same plug is used for engine sump drain, AND both gearbox & final drive fillers. (Altho mine had hex key (Allen key) filler plugs in the g/box & F/D. This design does not have a magnet but does have an O-ring seal.)

Normally that should be sufficient. Tried it once (having read about it for the first time on here!) but nothing came out. (Yes it was after a good long ride to get it properly hot.)

However I now wonder whether that was because the channel was open between f/d housing and swingarm tunnel, but that would require the paper gasket to have a corresponding cut-out, but I don’t remember seeing any.

Although I started by asking about these channels, after further reading I’m now under the impression that said holes are for oil drainage. Â Can’t the box breathe air through the bearings into the swinging arm?

I think you’re right - slots are to let oil drain back into the bevel box. Air should be able to travel freely through the bearing, but the swing arm is a closed space so will pressurise when it gets hot.

All I can say is that whenever I have filled my bevel box, oil dribbles out from the filler plug area after a ride. If I crack it open whilst hot it stops. Perhaps I just need a new seal for the filler plug?

Ian

I don’t want to teach my grandmother to suck eggs but have you checked the gearbox oil level?

My bevel box leaked as well after a long ride and I EVENTUALLY found that the oil level in the gear box was down - rear oil seal failure/wear

Thanks. Â Yes, I did check. Â The gearbox level is OK.

I’ll try that when I get to Fordingbridge :slight_smile: