T3 Flasher Relay. Help please

Have just received a Cargo 160081 relay from Motomecca to replace the 36 year old original. The original had 3 connections to take the same number of spades. The replacement has 5 options and I no understand. Any ideas please?

I have owned my 850T3 since it was 8 months old and it has never had a 3 pin flasher relay, just checked the wires and it has one brown wire and one blue/blackwire, maybe the 3rd pin was for a bike fitted with hazzard lights?.or if your bike is a 1979 one it might have one or two different things than my 1978 model. check your local old type car spares shop for a 12v 21wflasher unit with 2 pinsmaybe the 5 pin relay is either a starter relay or a headlight relay, my T3 has a 5 pin starter relay but I only use 4 of the pins, other bikes might have different relays.

northwest2014-06-05 22:04:52

Thanks for the advice. Flasher does have 3 pins, made by Minarelli and fitted around 1977. I bought it new in 78 but it’s been off the road for last 20 years so I’m now reaping the rewards of my neglect.

Do you have a single flasher can or a pair fitted end to end. Does it have hazard warning lights? The Spada and LeMans 2 have a pair of round cans under the right side panel, not sure how many wires, quite a lot I seem to recall.

think thet only have two wires and the little link wires that piggy back the other one

[QUOTE=Don-Spada] Do you have a single flasher can or a pair fitted end to end. Does it have hazard warning lights? The Spada and LeMans 2 have a pair of round cans under the right side panel, not sure how many wires, quite a lot I seem to recall.

[/QUOTE]

I would test with meter but try this
get a 21 or 5 watt bulb put or old indicator unit is good ,put one end on batterey and touch outher end to the 5 wires and see what lights up the lights will not be full brightness as it will have the test light in circuit , this way should you touch a eart there will be no damage done

Looking at the Haynes/T3 Owners Book and the Workshop manual all list in their wiring diagrams 17 Flashing Light Relay30 Flasher Relay number 17 is in fact the Headlight Relay and number 30 is the Indicator Relay. and number 30 is shown as only having the two spade fitting,so as the headlight relay is labled up as ‘Flashing’ by Moto Guzzi it is possible a mistake has been made and you have been sent a headlight relay.

northwest2014-06-05 10:36:42

Should be a bog standard 2 pin round relay.Any car accessory shop or Halfords should recognise if you take it to them.I am asumming you mean indicators not headlight flasher.If latter then a 4 pin relay from the same suppliers.
iandunmore2014-06-05 10:42:03

Last time I used Halfords I found them ok.

There is always the exceptions that prove the rule…having said that I found Maplins tecchie people O.K.

Sorry guys I’ve not been absolutely clear in my description. The relay is for the headlamp flasher and not the indicators.

If it’s like this: 85 & 86 are the coil.30 is moving contact.87 is normally open contact.87a is normally closed contact. I think you mean the original 3-pin Marelli item, the big one (?), has one side of the coil internally connected to one of the contacts, used for 12V supply, therefore of the 2 remaining one is flasher button and the other is headlamp main. To duplicate function, link 85 and 30 together, for +12V. 86 goes to button, 87 goes to headlamp. I think

Absolutely bang on the money Mike. Thanks for your help.