Two Questions

1. I am planning a trip to the south of France next year - first with wife as pillion couple. My T4 is still original point and mech reg/rec. Should I opt for aftermarket electronic or keep as is - will it improve things? If yes which one?

2. I have bought a spare rear grab rail and want to get a carrier platform fabricated onto it - can anyone recommend someone who does this sought of work - neatly and reasonably please.

Many thanks

OD

I fitted the Newtronics ignition system on my Spada. It works very well, fit and forget once it’s on, but points don’t take a lot of looking after either. They are usually pretty reliable.
I chose the Newtronics system as it retains the mechanical advance and retard and so I could swap it back easily if it did fail in a far away field somewhere. I used to carry the points etc in a little tobacco tin in amongst my spares in the bottom of a pannier.
As for a rack, I modified a rack off a jap bike and mounted it into the pannier frames , but adding something onto the standard grab rail would be a neat solution.

Twill bugger the chrome tho…

As Don, I have fitted Piranha (now Newtronics) and it works well, without any further adjustment. For a single trip I would just clean and adjust the points you have. If they are badly worn then replace them or take a new set with you.

I have a Guzzi rack here but it needs a clamp made up if you are interested. I want nothing more than a pint of beer for it! (negotiable) :smiley: It fits a Tonti frame, was on my 850T but I have no further use for it. I’ll have a look for the missing clamp in my bits box. The chrome is poor but the tubing is sound.

This is the clamp you need to make

And this is where it will have to go

Postage, collection etc is down to your good self.

Old Dog, Keith Nock has made me a couple of bespoke Givi racks of good quality at a price I am happy with.
He advertises as Lincoln Eagle in Gambo,
Or 8 Valve Eagle on here.

I’m tempted to say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Yes I did that too! :smiley:

One of the advantages of the mechanical reg/rec is that it’s rebuildable. You do need a good soldering iron and the diodes 'though.
You could carry a spare as they’re not too big/heavy.
Then again Bosch dealers in France will be able to get one PDQ as it’s still a listed item.
If the current one is regulating and rectifying I’d clean up the contacts, check terminals and earths.
Enjoy the trip.
Steve

Re the question of electronic ignition, took the plunge recently and fitted Dyna ignition to my Convert, kept the original coils and it all seemed to work well. After a fuel stop during a 200 mile amble round Dorset the bike started to stutter and almost stopped, then picked up and ran OK for a while but the problem persisted. On getting home found there was an intermittent loss of spark on one (R/H) side. My worry now is, has the Dyna set up killed a coil or is the Dyna itself U/S? Investigation ongoing.

I have a Guzzi rack here but it needs a clamp made up if you are interested. I want nothing more than a pint of beer for it! (negotiable) :smiley: It fits a Tonti frame, was on my 850T but I have no further use for it. I’ll have a look for the missing clamp in my bits box. The chrome is poor but the tubing is sound. Postage, collection etc is down to your good self.[/quote]

PM Sent

you could try this chap
http://www.classicbikeracks.co.uk/
he does what you say which is to adapt existing rear grab rail to take a rack - you could be his guzzi prototype

PM sent back but you have not replied, is your inbox full Old Chap?

I thought I had put this link on before, butt here is a Le-Mans rack and a set of Sigma panniers for sale on Shpock. Different sellers, both are bargains
Rack £25-00
https://en.shpock.com/i/WQ3WCtSKt3g-MJOo/

Panniers and rack £20-00
https://en.shpock.com/i/WRnmbfqo5GtwbcpD/

You might need to join Shpock to see them?