V-Sump Daytona Racing.

Hello,
I’m currently rebuilding a Daytona Racing and considering fitting the V sump with external filter from Stein Dinse. I’ve enquired about the suitability as it list all big block models except Daytona, Daytona RS, 1100 sport injection. They informed me that it would fit
but may not have sufficient ground clearance.
I’ve seen many Daytona’s with this mod and would appreciate your input on this. Thanks.
Kind regards,
Paul.
Kentrufuss2014-04-08 05:56:56

Here is Bodman (Bruce) at Cadwell on his Daytona last September. Not sure if it is the same sump as the one you are after, and Bruce has probably modded the shock mount to give more ground clearance:

Guzzirider2014-04-08 06:55:42

Thanks Guy,
Looks the same. I think Stein Dinse are being cautious as it does look tight but I assume that’s why it’s a V shape. You don’t happen to know that exhaust system as I’m finding it hard to locate a termi.
Thanks again.
Kind regards,
Paul.

It is a custom made one off I believe.

It is a MPH I am repairing one at the mo as I am a classic race car engineer but I do also have an exhaust guy who can fabricate one

Also building a similar bike 1225 to sell

Hello Bruce,Thanks for that, worth knowing. A Gent on the forum has the termi pipes & cross over and I hope to do a deal with him. That would be a start. 1225 a bit extreme for me as I only use on the road. Interesting machine, do you race as I would love to see it?.Regards,Paul.

No don’t race Guy me and a few others do track days . 125hp at the rear wheel Grrrrrrrrrrr ! Building a1288 motor at the moment

I’m in the process of building a special around a Centauro at the moment and I have been researching enlarging the capacity so your post is interesting. What’s involved in producing the 1288cc motor. Do you manufacture the parts yourself or are they bought in.Regards Martin

Bruce (Bodman) built my 1225cc (125bhp) motor with some help from Raceco. For a 1288cc motor you will need a special crank, pistons, con rods plus engineering work- heads flowed, crankcase skimmed, balancing etc. Not cheap I am afraid, and I am not sure if Raceco will help anymore- figure on a budget of around £7k maybe, just for the motor. Maybe more. The Dynotec cranks are not correctly machined either and they are a nightmare to deal with so avoid them like the plague, and the factory only built 9 1288cc cranks for racing so very hard to get one of these.

Was the the same work, (crank, con rods etc) required for your 1225cc motor build or is a much cheaper (I say cheaper not cheap) option.

I did not need new crank but rest of work was the same. Other items to budget for are new cams and bigger valves if you are going for big bhp.

Then you may want better brakes, bigger wheels to take modern sticky rubber, uprated suspension etc etc …

Forgot to mention DAES oil pump- no point spending all that money on the motor when the standard weak oil pump is likely to fail. New oil pump gear from Joe Caruso is another good idea plus you will need a solution for remapping fuelling e.g. Jeffries ECU.

But the end result is worth it- you get an absolute animal of a motor- the grunt is massive, and there is no other engine on this planet like it.

My Ducati road bike makes 120bhp and it seems like a slug compared to the big Daytona.

Guzzirider2014-05-23 07:07:52

Thanks for the information Guy; I know how easy the price can mount up - I build kitcars. I have done a few bike restorations, mainly Moto Guzzi (just sold a Le Mans 1) but the bikes are always stock. This time I am going to build a fast Guzzi, already going down the V11 gearbox route to allow bigger more modern tyres but it appears the only source for motor enlargement is Germany and that seems to involve taking the engine to them. Doesn’t anyone just sell the parts needed (pistons, rods etc). Head work I would farm out but I would rather do the over bore and engine build myself. Thanks for the info over the oil pump, didn’t know that, do you have a source for parts for the motor?RegardsMartin

Hi Martin

Raceco sourced the pistons and rods- my motor was one of a batch of 5 being built and I believe all the parts were made as one offs.

You could buy MGS01 pistons- they are the right size at 100mm and Carillo maybe sell the right size rods.

May be worth chatting to Hartmut at HTM in Aachen Germany- only a shortish journey from the ferry at Rotterdam or Hook Of Holland. I have used him before for some tuning work on my V11 and he is a decent knowledgable guy- won’t be cheap though.

If you did not want to go down the V11 gearbox route, OZ make lighter wheels for your bike in modern sizes-Bruno at Ghezzi Brian sell them.

Cheers

Guy

Hi GuyThanks for all the info, I saw the OZ wheels - that might have to go on to the cost no option list. Looking at the MGS-01 spec, I assume the 100mm cosworth pistons were shorter (or longer) as the stroke stayed the same 78mm so there wouldn’t be any need to replace the Rods to create 1225cc. I’ll contact Cosworth and a Carrillo supplier to see if they can shed more light on it.Regards Martin

Coffee Racer2014-05-24 17:43:34

[QUOTE=Coffee Racer]

Hi GuyThanks for all the info, I saw the OZ wheels - that might have to go on to the cost no option list. Looking at the MGS-01 spec, I assume the 100mm cosworth pistons were shorter (or longer) as the stroke stayed the same 78mm so there wouldn’t be any need to replace the Rods to create 1225cc. I’ll contact Cosworth and a Carrillo supplier to see if they can shed more light on it.Regards Martin

[/QUOTE]Could anyone assist me with the specification for the Conrods used in
the MGS-01. I am referring to the MGS-01 with the 1225cc capacity. I
know they used 100mm Cosworth pistion, which I now have a set of, and
they used Carrillo Rods, which I am certain were 144mm long to
accommodate the shorter pistons (as opposed to 140mm for the standard
big twins). However, after speaking with Carrillo they are telling me
that the only difference is a narrower Small End width and overall
weight but the length was the same! Carrillo part number would be
fantastic or dimensions would be a big help - Big End/Small End Dia and
width and length. I know Daes Mototec are selling them but I can’t
even get them to acknowledge a £1500 order so I have no chance getting
them to answer a tech question. RegardsMartin
Coffee Racer2014-06-12 15:13:34

Arrow made the titanium rods for my 1225cc motor- you could see if they can make some more. I do not have dimensions I am afraid.

Thanks GuyCambridge Motorsport said they could produce me a set but they must be out there some where. I had the same probably over the rings. Cosworth initially told me they never produced the rings for the 100mm pistons but a little more digging uncovered over a 100 sets on their selves.I’ll keep trying.Thanks againMartin

You can buy the MGS-01 Carillo rods from Guzzi- they are very expensive £1372 each inc VAT. I think my Arrow rods were about £700 for the pair- still very expensive.Guzzirider2014-06-13 21:47:42