V7 Classic - rear shock absorbers

My lemon has 38mm Marzzochi’s on the front and one of the last Konis on the rear.I say one of the last because I gave my old pair to be rebuilt and Koni disapeared one weak later.But that combination is better than I will ever be.

They seem to know their stuff at Hagon. I think I’ll ask them if they’d like to give some thought to the front end for a change, on these old Guzzis of mine

Normal

false
false
false

EN-GB
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I phoned around some of the well-known UK Guzzi dealers & they suggested Hagon Nitros as a cheaper alternative to the MG Biturbos - but still £400 a pair, plus fitting!!Thanks Robb for your posting, until now I’d turned down the pre-load to the lowest possible but that didn’t seem to help. So based on what you were saying about sagging, I’ve now dialled them back up to half-way to see if that makes them any better.

Apologies if you know all this already, but if you work the rubber bump stops up to the top of the piston rods then sit on the bike without bouncing, get off gingerly and measure how far down the rubbers have moved, I’m told it should be about 20% of the total possible compression, which is only about 50mm on the Sachs, so you’re looking for about 10mm movement of the rubbers. I had to go above half way on the pre-load to achieve this but of course it depends how much you weigh.As you’ll gather from my experience I wouldn’t recommend forking out for the Nitros when 2810s are, in my opinion, better for the V7 and much less expensive. I don’t know about fitting cost because it’s so easy to DIY with the Allen keys from the toolkit, and 13mm and 10mm spanners to take off the right silencer to get at the lower bush bolt, 17 and 22mm spanners (from memory) for the left lower. I can change the shocks over in less than half an hour (but I have had more practice than I’d have liked!).I found the left silencer could stay on, but maybe my bike is odd, because the silencer mounting plates are different from each other (RHS is a flat stainless plate and LHS is a chromed pressing) and the LHS silencer sticks out at a different angle. One day I must find another Stone to look at to see if it’s the same.

Robb2014-01-06 16:48:16

Robb, suggest you attend the next local Branch meet.
The Stone is a popular model and it’s odds on there’ll be at least one there for compare and contrast.

Phil