V7 Sport

ref MCN 2-10-13

a test on the Guzzi, Enfield Continental GT and the Triumph Thruxton.

Two out of the three MCN guys would buy the little Guzzi!

Adam Child preferred the daily use possibilities the Triumph offered and of course its extra power. It is also around £700 cheaper than the Guzzi!

However for character and looks the Guzzi took the vote.

Well done Guzzi, now knock a few hundred off the price and give it another 10bhp!

The first is possible, the second would require major money injection negating any possibilty of the first.

Such a shame they never went with those drone heads.

A drone head being…?

From memory the V50 turned into a triple.When I was in the museum in 1995 I knocked on the engine in their and the third head sounded wooden.But you are right.Welshguzzi, drones have been in the news for the last few years in Afghanistan. The idea is not new.

Oh, I thought it was some sort of secret configuration, involving high tech combustion chambers, many valves and red hot cams!

No, the drone head was an engine designed for use in drones, pilotless aircraft.It was a small block Guzzi engine with a different head, normal hemispherical design rather than the flat Heron type.Read this thread.http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16174
Brian UK2013-10-02 13:34:15

That is a different engine to the one I saw which had a third head bewteen the 2.It looked and sounded wrong.The Ippogriffo could have been good.The Elifino possibly better.

Ah, now I understand. We had a drone at school - always fell asleep in his lessons!

Ian, surely a simple Nitrous kit would sort the BHP issue…and cost pennies…
So third gear wheelies on a V7 Sport would be the norm!

You’ld have to wear one of those stupid stick-on Mohicans to do that, though

Carefull, I know someone who wears one of them.They’re faster than me.She plays rugger as well so me not criticising.
iandunmore2013-10-02 16:36:53

Wonder what it would do to my Insurance though.

I have sat on the various incarnations of the modern Bonneville and they are all incredibly heavy. They are also too “self consciously retro” for me - because there was a period in between when Triumph tried to get away from that look. The Guzzi V7 looks like a Guzzi looks, and is light.

The Enfield has character in bucketsful, but is very low on power.

I just wish they would turn out a NTX750ie

There is nothing like it on a market.

It would go head to head with a Transalp, NC700X, CB500X, & DL650 V-Strom.
Be a consideration against a Tiger 800, VFR800 Crossdresser & F800 GS.

It would be the only shafty among them.
It would be the only air cooler among them.

Makes sense in my head. But of course it would also go up against the Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, so Piaggio won’t let that happen.

[QUOTE=Mikefule] I have sat on the various incarnations of the modern Bonneville and they are all incredibly heavy. They are also too “self consciously retro” for me - because there was a period in between when Triumph tried to get away from that look. The Guzzi V7 looks like a Guzzi looks, and is light.

The Enfield has character in bucketsful, but is very low on power.[/QUOTE]

ye the Trumpy heavy without a doubt, but makes loads more bhpto offset that…
But the Guzzi is soo stylish…a proper café racer outa the box.

+1

Apologies for being an anorak but the V7 Sport was produced in the early 70s and has nothing to do with the current V7 range, none of which is called V7 Sport. Best not to confuse the two. So there…

Saw the Royal Enfield in the flesh at Stafford. Looked gaudy and was way too expensive for a tarted up Bullet.

Probably makes the V7 seem like a Hayabusa.

Actually, for once, I agree with anorakism.