VHB30 carbs

Hi folks,

I’m looking to fit flip top choke levers on my 1000sp to do away with the choke cables. I bought the units that Gutsibits sell but the plunger diameter is too big to allow it to slide into the barrel. Just wondering if anyone else has done this mod and where they bought the flip top levers.

Cheers

Bob

I believe there are two different sizes, although I thought the variation was long and short. I.m sure a call to Gutsibits would clarify matters.

Hi Don,

I spoke to Guy at Gutsibits about it when I bought the levers. As always they were very helpful and tried the plunger in a spare VH30 carb that they had and the plunger only went part way in. Maybe a bad batch but will contact them again and see if they have had another batch in.

Cheers

Bob

I did this mod, what Don said need the short plungers I think. (EDIT: SEE BELOW)

So what are you saying, it goes in, but stops short? Or won’t go in the hole at all because it’s too fat?

PS: Can’t remember whether I bought mine from Gutsibits, or Eurocarb. Might have been Eurocarb. Was only about 4 - 5 yrs ago.

Well apparently it was this - looks right - couldn’t have been the “short” one, the brass plunger looks wrong (too short and stubby)

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellorto-motorcycle-carburettors-parts/dellorto-vintage-carburettors-and-parts/vhb-vhbz-vhbt-parts/choke-lever-assembly-long/

Hi Mike,

The plunger would only go in a couple of mills. It was the longer ones that I ordered . May just have been a bad batch. Will contact Gutsibits tomorrow. Good to know that the ones you got from Eurocarbs fitted ok. Many thanks for the info.

Cheers

Bob

Bob, that sounds the best solution, Gutsibits will sort you out I’m sure. All I could find was this on Eurocarb’s site https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellorto-motorcycle-carburettors-parts/dellorto-vintage-carburettors-and-parts/vhb-vhbz-vhbt-parts/8294-dellorto-choke-lever-assembly-short/

I’ve replaced plungers a few time on various. They always look pretty cheap carp (sic). Wouldn’t be surprised if there were a batch that went one step beyond.

Hi folks,

I’ve been in contact with Gutsibits and the units they have seem to fit the VHB30 carbs ok. Hopefully that is the case and the last lot were a bad batch. I should have them by the end of the week so fingers crossed.

All the best

Bob

Silly question time, presume you’ve checked the bores for corrosion or suchlike?

Hi Mike, no such thing as a silly question. Yes the bores were fine. Will report back once the replacements arrive.

Cheers

Bob

OK cos I have had one or two that were a very “snug” fit! :smiley:

Have you had many then Mike?

have a like,

:laughing:

Hi folks,

Just an update. The replacement levers fit fine so must have been a bad batch previously. As always great service and advice from Gutsibits. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Cheers

Bob