Wrong way Guzzi VTwin

Interesting
Steve
http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/12/27/raven-motorcycles-moto-guzzi.html

Guzzi did it themselves of course, and long before Ducati ‘adopted’ the layout . . .

Didn’t know about these until I went to the Museum last Month.

I think thats where Taglioni got the idea from…a few degrees out…

Somebody did this in a Norton Frame a few years back.
There was a piccie in Gambo.
And of course I have a poster featuring an early L twin on my living room door.

He wants $25,000 for that??!! The wiring uses crimp connectors, cheap and nasty. Cheapo jubilee clips on the fuel lines and that’s without a good look at it and it doesn’t look that good either, I remember the one that Ian mentioned and that didn’t look right either. To me it’s all down to the way the exhausts exit the head, on the Guzzi , as we all know, they exit at 90 degrees and in line with the crank, there is no way that this will look correct when the motor is stuck in a frame sideways. So to sum up I think it’s horrendous, and the other one was too.

I’m guessing the rear cylinder runs a bit hot?

There’s a reason Fabio Taglioni made it an “L” twin, with different fins on the two cylinders… :nerd:

Harley seem to have got away with the layout for many decades (Air-cooling-wise), so it’s probably not that bad.

Crimp connectors are better than soldered.
Up until fly by wire came in you were not allowed to use soldered connections on civil aircraft.
One of the Malaysian 'planes that came down did so because a soldered joint in the computer dry jointed.
I agree with your other points though.

Depends.
A good crimp is good enough and can cause less damage to the wire than the heat of a soldered joint. Crimp machines can be adjusted to the optimum pressure for the wire size more easily than manufacturers can be convinced to invest in adjustable soldering irons and staff training/product specification.
Soldering on boards is a whole other kettle of fish.
Doubt that bikes from specials builders need to be at aerospace standards.
Having said that …
Insulated crimps should be banned from all corners of the universe and replaced by proper crimps (soldered or not) with a slip over sleeve.
IMHO :wink:
Have fun
Steve

Well I took a long hard look at the blokes efforts
I considered it from a design point of view
from a riders point of view
from an engineering point of view
and from an artists point of view
I examined every part of the bike closely
its sheit

I agree on the point about soldered joints, the flux seems to go inside the sheathing and corrodes the wires, and you don’t notice until the wire breaks, I gave up soldering wires together years ago. What I was pointing out was the use of the cheapest bodge wire jointing and expecting top dollar. The forks don’t seem up to much either as they’re from a honda 350, and it doesn’t look like there’s much travel going to be happening.

+1
Steve