Stick some grease on the pliers to help the tang to stick.
Interested to know how this turned out Adam . . . .
You can buy oversized repair plugs for this issue. They are usually .5mm bigger to compensate and can torque to the manufactures spec ( use soft crush washers) They are the same thread pitch just that little bit larger.
Just make sure you get the diameter and pitch right first time or you will be in a whole lot of pain
Hi Doc,
My “temporary” multiple dowty washer fix got me through the rest of the year with to no leaks, including a trip round France!
This is on my list to sort before I get the bike back out this year. Other things on the list are:
- Driveshaft boot/general greasing whilst I’m around that area. The boot is split and I’ve seen some oil at the lowest point of swing arm, if it’s coming from the boot I guess I’ve got a seal issue somewhere.
- Shock rebuild - interested to know anyone’s recommendations for any rebuild companies used before.
Hi @V9ROCKS, interesting idea, not heard of this before.
Unsure how this works on stripped threads and just in general? Have you got any links to examples?
They are on amazon and eBay. Once you screw and fix the stripped main thread the centre section can be removed independently to drain oil.
As I said though - make sure you get the pitch and thread size right first time and fix with some lock tight.
If you are not confident get a technician to do it.
A decision is simple - if it was/is easy to remove the sump then do so and re-thread. If it’s a costly and time consuming job then consider an oversize plug.
What you don’t want is the worry of oil leaking out onto your back tyre/leaving the engine…you need a solid permanent/fix and forget and tight fix ![]()
Thanks @V9ROCKS I’ll take a look!
It’s the Gearbox Drain Thread V9, not the Engine Sump, unfortunately.
That oversized device does seem to be the best solution in this instance.
Which Boot is it Adam?
If it’s the one at the front of the Swing-Arm, it’s not too critical, it’s only really a Dust Cover.
I’d pop it off the Arm and check for Oil in there though.
If there is Oil at that end, you most likely have a slight leak from the Gearbox Output Shaft Seal.
If it’s dry, then the Leak will be from the CARC front Seal.
Pulling the CARC off is easy enough to check that.
Also worth checking the Pinion Gear Nut is tight, they have been known to come loose.
If it’s all OK, get some Loctite 290 ‘Wicking’ Threadlocker.
It’s formulated to apply to already assembled Threads, it ‘wicks’ it’s way into them, locking them.
.
Great advice thanks Doc.
Boot is the front swing arm boot, not had it on the ramp to properly inspect, but will do as you suggest thank you!
Next question…if this oversized sump plug is the right option to try, do you know the gearbox plug thread pitch by any chance? I would guess it’s M12 by 1.5?
Not off the top of my head, I’ll see if I can find out.
EDIT; M10 x 1.5mm
Oil Unload Plug, as they call it . . .
Another option possibly, although there is no M10 option . . .
Thank you! Will have all this sorted over the next month, will post back here with my results
Remember . . . photos!
If you do end up Drilling/Tapping, I wouldn’t be too concerned about Swarf getting into the Box.
Any little bits that do get in, will stick to the Oil residue around the Hole.
Drain the Oil from the Box into a clean container, and keep it handy.
Once you’re finished the job, just pour the Oil back into the Box, and let if flush straight out, it will take any Swarf with it.
A few small specks of Light Alloy left in there won’t hurt, there are wear particles from the Gears floating round in the Oil all the time anyway.
Something to tuck into your toolbox? Cheap as chips and well worth having around so you know for sure what you got or need before trying to insert in your pride and joy? ![]()
Hi @Doc1, started this job at the weekend. Discovered the breather valve is clogged, which I’m now thinking may be the cause to my oil leak.
Carc is out, will probably be next weekend by the time I get to Swingarm out to check seal, but I had oil in Swingarm.
Also, looks like you were right and I should be able to remove right hand engine mount to foot peg to get drilling access for gearbox sump, exhaust looks like it can dry in place.


