1000SP brake fluid level warning

This device is I think supposed to show a light on the panel if the fluid level is low. Does anyone know, please, how it works? Should a circuit be completed by the brass rod when the float drops? This one (a replacement, as the original was damaged) doesn’t seem to do anything. And can it be serviced?

Would appreciate any observations!

the two wires from the top of the brake fluid reservoir are, one (black wire) should go to earth and one (grey wire) to number 12 of the 12 pin connector block, and then to the console, the warning light on the console is next to the ‘High Beam on’ warning light, but I would not use it to check the brake fluid level, brake fluid level is too importantant a thing to leave to a piece of brass rod, likewise the oil warning light, this is not as some people think a warning that your oil level is low it is a warning that the oil pressure is incorrect, which could be because the oil level is very low but could be something else,
as far as “and can it be serviced?” well there is nothing really which could be serviced, but as I said I would not put my faith in the device I would check the fluid level the old fashioned way and take a look now and again,

Noted, northwest - many thanks!

Agree totally with your comment re. physically checking fluid levels, which applies to any vehicle. I suppose these devices are really intended to warn of a sudden loss of fluid en route.

Mine stopped working so (the float dropped off) so I replaced it with a normal, blank, top about 22 years ago.
Guzzi stopped fitting it too.

Just had a look at my 1978 850T3 and it has the device fitted but in the 30+ years I have owned it cannot ever remember the warning light coming on. I will test it one day when I sort the bike out.

I did as Ian. Also found the float type has a vent in the top covered by a bleed nipple cap, this is actually an air vent to allow the float to move, this means water vapour in the air can get into the fluid!

Many years ago a mate of the Mayflower club had the light come on on his Spada, it was actually because one of the aluminium banjo washers had corroded and sprung a leak, so in that case it did its job! We decided copper washers were better, and as time has proved.

But the switches can tend to tarnish and fail to work I’m afraid. Nice idea but…

That thing with ally brake washers happened to me.
I have been told that no copper brake washers are an MOT failure now, and rightly so.