1200 Sport - 2v or 4v?

Greetings.

Apologies, first post and all, but basically I joined the forum to gather info on the 1200 Sport, which is currently earmarked as being the most likely to become my next bike, as and when I can scrape enough pennies together to afford a new(er) bike.

Currently have a Speed Triple sat in the garage, and it’s a brilliant bike, but I stumbled upon a 4v Sport in one of the bike shops near work while I was in there a few months ago. Gorgeous looking bike, well designed, and looks as though it would tick all the boxes on by motorcycling wish-list. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my bank balance at least!), it was sold before I could pluck up the courage to get a test ride, but it has planted a seed of desire in my braincell…

Never ridden a bike with a shaft drive before, and my only experience of a twin was a Yamaha TRX (great, underrated bikes) that had a few issues (that got sorted out while I had it) and was sold on to fund a cruiser for the wife. I’ve also been looking at BMW R1150/1200R’s, but TBH, they just don’t have that design flair (for want of a better term) of the Guzzi.

What’s the transition like from chain drive to a shaft?
What about going from a multi-cylinder to the Guzzi twin?

Have been looking at the V11 as well, but there seem to be far fewer of them about than the 1200 Sport.

I bought a V7 Stone last year and had never had a shaftie.I can’t say it was any great drama. But I don’t really get a shift on.The 1200 Sport is currently along with the Norge my fantasy as well.i’m hoping to have a sit on both next week.

I bought a 4 valve 1200 sport last year and absolutely love it. Ive had almost exclusively twins over the years but ridden a few 4cylinder bikes belonging to friends or as courtesy bikes. The biggest difference for me is that with a twin I feel much more aware that there really is an engine down there working away. IL4s just leave me cold. Not to say they are not competent of course , just a bit bland.
I don’t really have any comment on chain vs shaft, just have a go and see what you think. Make sure you have a long test though as a few minutes/miles doesn’t really do Guzzis any favours. I have 4 dealers within 15-40 miles of me and they have all been very happy to give me the keys and say off you go.
Compared to the 2valve engine the 4valve initially feels a little flat between 2000-4000rpm (it is all relative of course)but then really takes off from about 4500rpm onwards . It is quite delicious riding a big bike like the 1200 sport and discovering it really can fly, well not literally, and it handles well too. dukesox2014-08-14 23:04:01

Faster steering than the TRX I rode at any rate and smoother…
Wouldn’t worry about the shaft drive either…the 2 valve 1200 sport I rode belongs to a mate and they are nice things…mite do to do a bit of research tho…
Welcome to the forum btw and consider joinin the club…Kate…

The 2 valve per cylinder engine has no known problems. If buying the 4 valve per cylinder check to see if it has had the roller cam follower conversion fitted and has a full dealer service history. If the answer is no to both questions then budget £1500 to have this work done, and knock it off the asking price. If the bike has a full service history then Guzzi will supply the parts free as and when they start to fail, The original cam last upto about 20000 miles Labour will cost about £550 so knock that off the asking price. I am getting my stelvio back after its second set of replacement Camshafts this time Guzzi have supplied the roller kit. The first set lasted 8000 miles the upgraded? next set lasted a further 13000 miles. The most recent bikes are factory fitted with the roller cam kit. The Club is currently trying to find out from which engine prefix this was done
regards Keith 8 Valve Eagle2014-08-15 08:41:31

I’ve had a Breva 1100 (2-valve) for the last year… not a 1200 Sport, but close(-ish).I find shaft drive to be slightly fussier when matching engine speed to road speed, when changing down through the gears, whereas a chain tends to be more forgiving. While there’s some slack in a chain, and a cush drive, I’m not sure what shock-absorbing properties a shaft has. Also, the dry single-plate clutch needs to be let out gently - it can give you a right kick up thebottom if you dump it.Having said that, the gearbox on the 1100 is really light, snicketty-snick, and the effort required on the clutch lever is easy too - on an 8-hour day, I had no problems.These modern Guzzi engines don’t give you the “kick” to one side you get when you blip the old ones, but it does vibrate from side to side on tickover, like a dog shaking off water - you don’t get that on yer inline fours!I’ve only ever had one four, a Yamaha Fazer 600, and I hated it! Nasty, buzzy thing, no “go” at low revs. I was a Ducati man previously, and I love the kick in the pants a big V-twin gives you, as you wind it on out of a bend. The Guzzi does that beautifully.You also get a soundtrack worth listening to, once you put a Quill pipe on it. While the wail of a four at high speed can send shivers down the spine, it’s the sound of a V-twin pulling from low revs that brings a tear to the eye…I say V-twin, because my other bike is an F650GS (800 parallel twin), chain drive, and while it tries hard, it just doesn’t compare to the real thing.Modern bikes seem to be turning into a plumber’s nightmare, all black tubes and pipes, so you can’t see there’s a motor in there. With two massive cylinders poking out (in a sensible place, not like those BMW footwarmers) you’re in no doubt that this thing has a proper engine.Go on, you’ll not regret it…

Blind Lemon Ade2014-08-15 22:02:22

Bought my first Guzzi a 1200 Sport 2v last year on a 09 plate must be one of the last registered as the 4v came out a year before.
Always liked the look of them since they were introduced & knew it would be my next bike. I saw it advertised with all the photos & description etc, from a dealer in Bury & bought it blind over the phone ( usually not advisable).

I decided that I would fit & blend/change my style to suit the bike as I had sat on one at the NEC. It was delivered by courier & on my first ride I was wobbling all over the place when I pulled off (really strange at first but at least I was still on my drive). Once on the open road it was superb & soon got familiar to it. It has the original Mistral can & personally sounds beefier & with more growl than aftermarket cans.

My other bikes included Trident 900`s & Daytona 900 triples also an RF900 ; this is my first shaft & twin & absolutely love it.

My other bikes were nice but never got the attention that the 1200 Sport gets ; this is my best bike so far ( only draw back nearest dealer 110 miles away) but always done all my own maintenance.

I had all makes of jap 4 cylinders for years loved them ,then my local dealer became a guzzi shop and I got to test ride a lot of the guzzi range and ended up buying a griso which I loved . My problem then got bad I started riding old school guzzis and now have 5 guzzis,so be careful about buying a guzzi

Totally agree,managing to keep it to 3 at the moment,that may change tomorrow tho …

I’ve owned many motorcycles over the last 40 years, in recent times I’ve tended to buy Italian, Ducati’s, MV’s and of course Guzzis. I did like my 2v Breva 1100 which was my introduction to Moto Guzzi biking, but then I bought a 1200 Sport 4v and am now on my second 4v Sport. They are nice very competent machines, I really like mine, it’s bedding in nicely as the miles increase (currently approaching 5000 miles on the odo). I wouldn’t let the horror stories put you off buying a 4v one. Just my 2c worth of course.

After buying in to the Guzzi marque with my Breva 1100 2V for the first time in February this year I will admit that at first I was in two minds whether I’d made the right move or not. After years of big Japanese inline fours and a life of power insanity something was not there anymore…or so I thought

Here I am in August and after a great summer back in the UK the difference is I know I’ve done the right thing. It’s taken time to grow on me, but I absolutely love the 1100 2V experience. The bike itself is pretty well spot on for handling, character by the bucketful and I love the fact people stop, look and have a chat about it.

I am not sure if this is particular to the 2V, but I do find the clutch in first a bit erratic. May be I still need to use more revs. Hill starts on first ownership took some getting used to.

Otherwise great in every sense. North of 100 two up says the power it has is more than that actually required. Different to what I was used to, but I much prefer my appreciation to come slowly than in an instance.

My father raves over it when I pay a visit and my wife loves being pillion more than on my past ZZR1400. Less scream value though.

What’s the transition like from chain drive to a shaft?

Cleaner back wheel and less hassle. Nothing really that much in all senses.

What about going from a multi-cylinder to the Guzzi twin?

Different. The big fours didn’t need revs to leave in first and I have lost having my arms wrenched from their joints. For me the MG needs more rider input and I had to learn riding properly again. Gears and revs as against to having that much power it didn’t matter.

So after just 6 months of ownership I am now entering in to my next quandary in life. I now want a second Guzzi. This time to rebuild in to ‘something different’. A more ‘custom/street version’ c/w some personal touches.

4V’s? Wouldn’t have a clue in the world of V-Twins, but on the second bike who knows.
satanfriendly2014-08-31 23:39:37