1200 sport 2v tyres

I am sure this has been covered before but any recommendations for tyres for the 1200 sport. I want reasonable life so not looking for the stickiest, more a good compromise for all weathers etc.

Thanks

Jim

Maxxis super diamond.
£159 a pair off e blag.
So far good grip and good in the wet.
500miles so far

[QUOTE=wits] Maxxis super diamond.
£159 a pair off e blag.
So far good grip and good in the wet.
500miles so far [/QUOTE]
I had these on my ktm superduke I loved them and they look great .Also Dunlop roadsmart there are so many good tyres nowadays you cant really go wrong with any of the latest tyres

Think I’ll try conti motions next ,£150 ish from m&p when I last looked.
Got pr2s on now,done about 6k still ok…

I’ve run Michelin Pilot Road (2’s and now 3’s) on my 1200 sport and been impressed with grip, handling and wear. They’re not the cheapest tyres available but I’ve been very impessed with them

Well, in the end I have gone for the latest Avon Storms at £250 pair fully fitted (ride in ride out). I have therefore ignored everyone!
As usual I find that in the end availability is the decider and these were what was available when I needed them at the convenient tyre place. They don’t do Maxxis or Continental and the new Dunlop Roadsmarts they were recommending were on 1 week back order for the front. Having said that I run Avons on my Triumph and like them.
Also they are made locally, which is nice!
I will let you know how I get on as I will shortly be embarking on a 2 week 3000 mile Euro tour.

By the way I was surprised to see that they had to take the silencer off to get the back wheel out. Is this always the case or is there a technique here?

[QUOTE=Somersetlemon]Well, in the end I have gone for the latest Avon Storms at £250 pair fully fitted (ride in ride out). I have therefore ignored everyone!
[/QUOTE]
Are they. I was under the impression that production had ceased in the UK.

BT023s have a great balance between grip and durability- much better than previous Bridgestone sport touring tyres.

Regarding the question about removal of the silencer to remove the rear wheel. Its certainly possible on my 1200 sport 2V fitted with the original exhaust - its actually the easiest bike i’ve ever owned for rear wheel removal(its fitted with the optional centre stand.)

Centre stand might be the issue, mine hasn’t got one and they were using a jack.

I have the standard can.

Avon have always been made in Melksham and as far as I know have never gone overseas. The tyre brand was bought from Avon Rubber plc in 1997 by American Cooper Tires, but the tyre factory has not moved. They still make racing tyres for cars too.

[QUOTE=Somersetlemon] Well, in the end I have gone for the latest Avon Storms at £250 pair fully fitted (ride in ride out). I have therefore ignored everyone!
As usual I find that in the end availability is the decider and these were what was available when I needed them at the convenient tyre place. They don’t do Maxxis or Continental and the new Dunlop Roadsmarts they were recommending were on 1 week back order for the front. Having said that I run Avons on my Triumph and like them.
I will let you know how I get on as I will shortly be embarking on a 2 week 3000 mile Euro tour.

By the way I was surprised to see that they had to take the silencer off to get the back wheel out. Is this always the case or is there a technique here? [/QUOTE]

Let’s hope they are less wide than the Avon storms on my breva 1100, because I had to trim the tyre edge , as it would rub the swingarm, especially when warm

100% agree

[QUOTE=Somersetlemon] Well, in the end I have gone for the latest Avon Storms at £250 pair fully fitted (ride in ride out). I have therefore ignored everyone!/QUOTE]
that’s the way to go

[

Let’s hope they are less wide than the Avon storms on my breva 1100, because I had to trim the tyre edge , as it would rub the swingarm, especially when warm [IMG]smileys/smiley3.gif" align="middle[/Inicer

[/quote] It is tight but there looks to be say 3 mm clearance or so. These are the new 3D XM tyres. Just scrubbed in and so far they feel great.

It is tight but there looks to be say 3 mm clearance or so. These are the new 3D XM tyres. Just scrubbed in and so far they feel great.[/quote]

If that is 3mm cold, mine grow more than that when warm, when going fast they don’t touch, but once warm and slow, they certainly still do slightly, even though I have trimmed about 4 mm off, after a run, push the bike and see if you can hear the tyre squeak and have a higher resistance, I thought Avon don’t recommend fitting guzzi’s because of the clearance issue.ianboydsnr2014-09-11 21:24:29

[QUOTE=sutty] Think I’ll try conti motions next ,£150 ish from m&p when I last looked.
Got pr2s on now,done about 6k still ok…[/QUOTE]

Conti motions are ok, they are about 15mm thinner than the avons, and seem more predictable in the wet, latest avons may have improved though!

Avon do recommend these on the bike. Have done around 110 miles so far and not noticed any issue.

Rgds

Jim