2008 Stelvio

Did this bikes engine require the rollers (or what ever it was on the top end of the engine ) recall. Or was it the newer models.??
Gary

Is it 2 valve per cylinder or 4 must be the first question to ask. If it’s a four valve then Yes it will need doing sooner or later (assuming its not been done already).
Edit Have a read of the conversation here regarding cams in Stelvios.
https://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=27097

Sorry Gary

Yes it will. The newer models (post 2013 I think) were changed to the roller cam followers. I had a 2008 stelvio and it had problems at 18,000 miles. Unfortunately I sold it before the later conversion came out. All Stelvios had 4 valve heads.

You will need to check with a dealer to see if yours has been done or not.

BTW there was never a recall. Unfortunately Moto Guzzi don’t work like that. They wait until yours goes wrong and then you have a fight on your hands to get the upgrade. They wont touch bikes that haven’t been dealer serviced either. I have a friend who has a 2010 Stelvio and it sounds like a cement mixer with a load of bricks in and MG wont touch it because it was home serviced.
Its a disgusting state of affairs

Yes…will definitely need them doing if they haven’t been done. It’s fairly easy to tell, whip of the cam covers and have a look. If you’re unsure what to look for have a search on google there’s a couple of links that show you what to look for. As Horton916 says if it’s not fully Guzzi serviced you won’t get any financial assistance from Piaggio. I believe the cost is around £1800.

Recalls only if it’s a safety issue, engine going wrong isn’t a safety issue, brakes might stop working is (as an example)

They wont touch bikes that haven’t been dealer serviced either. I have a friend who has a 2010 Stelvio and it sounds like a cement mixer with a load of bricks in and MG wont touch it because it was home serviced.
Its a disgusting state of affairs

Again pretty normal for all makes, home servicing voids warranty. If no dealer stamps, (or equiv. VAT registered workshop or mechanic’s records), you’re most likely out of luck.

As Don said we don’t know if is 2 valve or 4 valve heads yet, so until such time as we do, all is conjecture

The comment above suggests all Stelvios are 4 valve per cylinder.

They are!

Agreed, but it’s no excuse for bad design and not admitting to it. Shades of 1980s V4 Hondas. Did you go through this Mike? if you did you have my sympathy. Most of the mileage on my Stelvio was back an forwards to the dealer 70 miles away. This was 5 years ago and the dealer did their best at the time. If the roller follower fix was available at the time, I would have gladly paid to have it put right as the bike was excellent otherwise. We are a long way down the road now I suppose, we cannot expect MG to support 10 year old bikes.

No I didn’t go through it, and have to confess to being put off these models for these sorts of reasons.

Bikes built from 2013 on wards were fitted with the roller cam kit as standard ,check the date of manufacture not the date of registration , if buying a bike built earlier then insist on seeing a receipt for the upgrade work when the roller cam kit was fitted. On my Stelvio the receipt i received from Haywards clearly stated carry out roller rocker upgrade it also stated that the upgrade kit c had been fitted, as their was a A, B, and C kit which could be fitted dependent upon which series engine you had. If buying an older 8 valve for which their is no documents supporting the roller kit being fitted then i would offer between £1600 and £2000 less than for one which has the documentation for the upgrade. As the parts are approximately £1000 and labour back in 2014 for my bike was £542.00 . from the club research It is not a case of if the older cam design will fail but when.
Regards Keith