2016 V9 Roamer

When twisting the throttle slowly from idling, the revs do not increase but then increase rapidly. So, negotiating a roundabout, for example, I have to slip the clutch. All my previous bikes did not have this problem. Can you help please.

does it change speed if you leave it ticking over on the stand, like a fuel surge every now and again, or only when you twist throttle?

Only when I twist the throttle. It’s done it from new. Dealer tried to cure it but still persists. Slow riding is impossible. Thanks for reply.

I think slipping the clutch is a normal requirement for slow riding manoeuvres - keep the throttle hand still so engine can work at low revs and slip the clutch, bit of rear brake to reduce speed if necessary. At least it’s what we taught trainees on the motorcycle training scheme for the traffic cone exercises when I was an instructor (and what I was first taught doing same course). Trying to do it with just the twistgrip is what the Americans call ‘chopping the throttle’ and it doesn’t work. The preferred (other) method is a vital technique for negotiating mini roundabouts, sharp right-angled junctions, turning left or right at traffic lights etc. Just IMO. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for your reply. As the V9 does not have a tacho, I cannot know the idling speed. However, twisting the throttle when idling does not cause the revs to SLOWLY increase. Instead, I get to a certain throttle position and the revs zoom up.

Has the TPS been checked for smooth operation?

Hi and thanks for message. Excuse my ignorance but what is the TPS

Throttle Position Sensor. If it’s worn or defective, can cause the symptom you describe.

1 Like

Whilst the bike was bought new in 2016, I have only travelled 1300 miles . I did 2 miles last year.
Your suggestion regarding the TPS seems promising. I will investigate. Thank you for your help thus far. Neil.

1 Like

Hi Speedy23, I contacted Arnolds at Burton. Following my description of the problem, they suggested a possible fault with the TPS. So I will book it in for investigation in early May, when the weather looks better than now. I’ll keep you informed of progress. Thanks again. Regards, Neil.

2 Likes

Hi Adere, my experience with TPSs, having changed several on V11 and such like over the years, is they don’t fail like that. If anything they fail so the bike cuts out if you open it up. However, all the single throttle body bikes such as V7 Mk II and V9 have a rather clever throttle body with a servo in it which makes up an 8 degree adjustment of the throttle body flap, in order to maintain a steadyish idle. Reason for this being it’s much easier to set up in the factory and copes with the very lean mixture conditions demanded by the EU. if that was playing up you might see these symptoms. Chances are no amateur could fix the problem so you’re doing the right thing by taking it to Arnolds. I’d be interested to know what they find. All the best Jon

2 Likes

Hi Guzzimeister, Thank you for your very informative message. I will keep you in the loop as they say. Can the system be reprogrammed to ignore the political nonesence. Regards.

Hi GM, I was just going on my (admittedly sketchy) knowledge of potentiometer-based TPS systems…but at least it was a starting point.

I have known other instances of uneven throttle response being down to the TPS but your specific knowledge of the arrangement found on Guzzis is very useful.

But as you say, let’s see what Arnold’s say about it…

Thanks, it has a fault then. (?)

Hi Mike, thanks for your message and interest in my problem. Regards, Neil.